rem vssf

T

terryhawk

back to the info well,
i noticed a few years back some rumblings of discontent with big green as to the accuracy and quality . i have since heard their has been improvement within and they have begun to realign for lets say the more finicky shooter. is this true? and if so does anyone have knowledge of this newer version of the vssf 700 i'm considering one in 7mm mag if it will shoot worth a darn. the shop of course tells me this gun will shoot at 1 moa or better is that realistic and having never owned a 7mm what do they like to eat? any thoughts will be much appreciated

thanks
mark

vssf

i have not seen a 7mm rem mag vssf . i have a sendero in 7mm and other calibers it shoot great. also i have a vssf in 22-250 it shoots .4-.5".

As with all factory rifles you pay your money and take your chances.

The only way I would buy a Remington is to bore scope the barrel first.......................

Not for a smooth finish, but to be certain it had complete rifing the length of the barrel.

A plus would be a stock that will "take" bedding material.

If it has the "new" style trigger add in the cost of replacing it.

If you want big name accuracy...

Mark,

If you want in-the-box accuracy, my opinion is go to Tikka or Weatherby.
Tikkas are known for above-average accuracy, mainly due to their trigger, which is, from the box, better than most.
Weatherby has had and still offers a 'Sub-MOA' version of their rifles. Combine their vault-like action to their feel and tinkering, they are a choice that may be hard to beat.

If however, your taste is more specific, then go to a machined-for-precision action and build your own. It may be(probably will be) a little more expensive, and will take time.

It's all in what you want. This site tends towards the extremes of accuracy, so their opinions and suggestions will reflect that. It's not a bad thing. Read all that you can assimilate and digest, then ask more questions.

We will help you in your quest.

Cheers,

Phil aka tazzman

PS I own a Tikka Supervarmint in 7mm Remington magnum with a set trigger. It shoots better than me, but unfortunately, I have to be the weak link in the equation... tazzman

I owned....

a Rem VSSF in 308. It would group 8" at 1000yds; 46gr of Varget behind a 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I used it for quite awhile in Hunter bench rest in factory class and shot quite a few 246's with it. However, after realizing I never would progress further in Hunter, I finally opted for a 30/47 HBR bench rest rifle.

After carrying this rifle through a few hunting seasons, I traded it off for a new Rem Model 7 6.5lb 260 (love it.) The VSSF was a great, highly accurate rifle. By-the-way, I did install a Jewel trigger on it.

I just got tired of the weight.

virg

Back