Rem extractor trouble

AMMASHOOTA

Gary Gruber
I am building a .300 WSM on a Rem action. This is the first bolt I have worked on with a riveted extractor. While the extractor is quite functional at removing brass, it is absolutely nasty to close the bolt and engage the extractor over the round. Considerable force is required to close the bolt.

i tried lightly grinding and polishing one extractor, but this did not seem to help. I have replaced the extractor and started fresh.

Of interest is that I initially purchased two actions, and one had such a mangled extractor (or it appeared to at least) that I replaced that one also. I have not built on that action yet.

Any ideas?

Extractor

What I've found with the small bolt face Remington bolts is the extractor groove in the bolt isn't deep enough...If you take a bit of metal off the back off the extractor it makes it a lot easier to close the bolt...otherwise you will need to some how deepen the extractor groove which isn't that easy.

Steve

The reason that I asked about blueprinting is that if the action threads are off center, which is common, it could contribute to the sort of problem that you have.

Boyd makes a good point. I've heard of thread alignment contributing to hard close on 700's. Personally I've never been a big fan of Remington extractors. They work but aren't as positive as I like. Have you ever considered installing a Sako?

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I think I have found the problem. I took a look at the bolt on the other action I have. A round slips under the extractor groove easily on it. I measured the thickness of the extractor / bolt. One is 0.86, the other is 0.99.

It appears as if the bolt was not machined properly and I need to take a bit off of the extractor groove.

An interesting side note to this issue: I took 1.5 loops off the ejector spring. It made a big difference in the ability to close the bolt smoothly.

extractor groove in the bolt isn't deep enough.

Back