Rem 700 Bolts

Worker

How is the Bolt handel attached to Bolt body on a Rem 700 ? Is it welded ? Do they ever break off ?

According to Otteson, the bolt has 5 parts including the handle and they are all simultaneously furnace brazed together with copper alloy at about 2000 deg F. If the handle joint is done properly, it is almost as strong as welding. The joint is tested after brazing with a pneumatic press applying a calibrated force.

Apparently, there is a problem with the process that occasionally allows the handle joint to fail. I wonder what percentage of handles fails in customer's hands?

RWO

According to Otteson, the bolt has 5 parts including the handle and they are all simultaneously furnace brazed together with copper alloy at about 2000 deg F. If the handle joint is done properly, it is almost as strong as welding. The joint is tested after brazing with a pneumatic press applying a calibrated force.

Apparently, there is a problem with the process that occasionally allows the handle joint to fail. I wonder what percentage of handles fails in customer's hands?

RWO

2000 degrees is above the transformation range of Chrome Moly Steel. I would like to know the heat treating procedure after these steps are taken.

I know the bolt head is 36 RC harness, because I had one checked some years ago.

The bolt is essentially fully annealed when it comes out of the brazing furnace. It is heat treated afterwards. I'm guessing it is similar to 4140, so hardening temp is close to 1500 deg. F. This has no effect on the brazed joints and is why Remington uses the copper brazing alloy .

RWO

I have seen them fail but it is always from abuse, usually using a blunt object in an attempt to open the bolt on a stuck case.

I've had two early PTG bolt handles fall off just from running the bolt. I will always use an action with a monolithic bolt now.

I don't think there is anything wrong with factory Rem 700 bolts. A friend and I had 5 of 9 PTG bolts from a later batch that came off. The solder or braze whatever it is was just plain bad. Drilled and tapped them and no problems since. Wayne

The bolt is essentially fully annealed when it comes out of the brazing furnace. It is heat treated afterwards. I'm guessing it is similar to 4140, so hardening temp is close to 1500 deg. F. This has no effect on the brazed joints and is why Remington uses the copper brazing alloy .

RWO

I'd have guessed that they were just silver-soldered. They seem to come loose at what I estimate to be about 700-800° F (based solely on my experience with oxy-acetylene and silver-soldering). I don't even bother with the heat-stop paste anymore.

lJOyUKK5i8m6eM7XiJALK-OlYmrzK8TAkwCXelO4DimTCOHGyR-rjWhh78qJJt69ETAGVHAhlPCf_xgDgw9q3nOSda4AoCYr9Ql9HA-Mc0yIRcvMSHpXIbDUPGG65PURKWCg3erY8E4F4acH9YLbmVuJCZv_tUFAFOQkI5YK_6DuK1O_AWnGCgqEwcUxPhpKruQdRrtom1sI1WD7AFEOCvTP8xNtERL_kwOv4Dvkf0aNX7cvha74Q52nU96NiI7DInWcoCIijP50Zv1_5e_96eW6y0KYhz_G1peXQjiznu72aDlAEjpuKC7wG9Swd_W8Yoy7R9sFUDFQSmPmby8AESvoCgQIkJRxm-bHqPtOBkUs0tC6r9bEbeq6_7Gmhwy961adg9KahYolQqsm20Synii_-zxP8GzpGFqs0MNEFAph4v-evo5u0jxH5aVm-4BBFCAJtW3N_j812OLQGVEyFjRzi0FpuNFrxV8LO1XeLge-6DV2ccgp0CkL1UxtOfrYSzS7OqbI6zVsJnM7yAoZD_YiMBklH3scJus6m20hB64Bk9IdzNbVr7AqARfYLuY=s16383-w550

Attachments

• IMG_20140531_180828.jpg
    IMG_20140531_180828.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Timing is frequently an issue

I don't think there is anything wrong with factory Rem 700 bolts. A friend and I had 5 of 9 PTG bolts from a later batch that came off. The solder or braze whatever it is was just plain bad. Drilled and tapped them and no problems since. Wayne

AND there is little or no relationship between the shape of the bolt where it engages the extraction cam and the camming surface. I have yet to see one that was where it really should be. Of course, I have not seen them all but mebby a dozen or so I have owned.

Pete

700 bolts

I heard there is a person in pittsburg pa that makes a replacement bolt for the 700 action but can not think of his name.
gary b

Of the 10's of thousands of bolts/handles that I've had in hand to date, the ONLY pieces/parts that were ever copper brazed to a Remington bolt were the first generation 40X rimfire bolt handles of which all 40X & 40XR rimfire bolt handles are also pinned to the bolt body.

Handles & heads are induction brazed to the bolt body,not furnace brazed.
Bolt heads are pinned to the bodies also.

I'd have guessed that they were just silver-soldered. They seem to come loose at what I estimate to be about 700-800° F (based solely on my experience with oxy-acetylene and silver-soldering). I don't even bother with the heat-stop paste anymore.

lJOyUKK5i8m6eM7XiJALK-OlYmrzK8TAkwCXelO4DimTCOHGyR-rjWhh78qJJt69ETAGVHAhlPCf_xgDgw9q3nOSda4AoCYr9Ql9HA-Mc0yIRcvMSHpXIbDUPGG65PURKWCg3erY8E4F4acH9YLbmVuJCZv_tUFAFOQkI5YK_6DuK1O_AWnGCgqEwcUxPhpKruQdRrtom1sI1WD7AFEOCvTP8xNtERL_kwOv4Dvkf0aNX7cvha74Q52nU96NiI7DInWcoCIijP50Zv1_5e_96eW6y0KYhz_G1peXQjiznu72aDlAEjpuKC7wG9Swd_W8Yoy7R9sFUDFQSmPmby8AESvoCgQIkJRxm-bHqPtOBkUs0tC6r9bEbeq6_7Gmhwy961adg9KahYolQqsm20Synii_-zxP8GzpGFqs0MNEFAph4v-evo5u0jxH5aVm-4BBFCAJtW3N_j812OLQGVEyFjRzi0FpuNFrxV8LO1XeLge-6DV2ccgp0CkL1UxtOfrYSzS7OqbI6zVsJnM7yAoZD_YiMBklH3scJus6m20hB64Bk9IdzNbVr7AqARfYLuY=s16383-w550

Depending on the alloy used silver-soldering IS brazing.

I have sterling silver for fine work and 30% silver rods with 5% phosphorous balance copper for refrigeration work.

The phosphorous makes is self fluxing.

Melts at 1250 F.

Copper is 1981 F.

Makes good looking refrigeration joints.

Last edited:
Back