Rem 600 vs model 7

RJM

Will the rem model 7 bottom metal fit the 600 action?

I picked up a 600 Mohawk (no rib on the barrel) in 308 that's essentially new. It shoots well & I'd like restock it for a grandson with the model 7 trigger guard & floor plate. He actually likes the dogleg bolt handle!

Merry Christmas,
Ron

Kind of doubtful.

The model 600 is based on the XP100 pistol action. It is close to the Model 7 but not sure if it is exact. If you are building the stock from scratch, maybe it will work, but if you are planning on using an existing Model 7 stock, I would check if the cut for the bolt handle lines up. Also, I would find someone that will let you remove the bottom metal from their Model 7 and see if the holes line up with your action. You would also need the Model 7 magazine box, follower and spring, so you want to check if that all fits.

Heritage (http://www.heritage-arms.com/remington_600_parts.htm) sells replacement floor plates in both aluminum and steel, but don't list the price. Brownell's sells replacements for a hefty $177.99. Model 7 parts straight from Remington would be much cheaper if they will fit.

The model 7 and the 600 use different triggers. The trigger shoe on the 600 will end up at the front of the trigger gaurd.

600 botom metal

Willie Manning of Coquille Valley Machine Works in OR. manufactures a beautiful CNC'd black anodized aluminum bottom metal for the 600/660 Rem for approximately $75.00.
CVMW@earthlink.net

Warped due to bad assembly

I read on another forum that the reason the original zytel floor plates warped was that when the rifle was taken apart and reassembled, that a certain tab didn't get back where it belonged, and when the screws were tightened down, the floor plate warped. It eventually became a permanent curvature. Don't know if the metal replacements are made differently. I assume that the folks that make them know all about the history.

The OEM Rem Zytel 600/660 trigger guards will warp from mag spring pressure over the years.

Willie Mannings black anodized CNC'd trigger guards are second to none.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question: Are the action screws in the same place on a 600 and a model 7?

The model 600 has the rear screw further forward than the mod 7. It is also not a 1/4" like the mod 7. A mod7 -700 trigger won't work as it hits the rear receiver screw.

Thanks, Butch. That's what I needed to know. I guess I'll leave the 600 as is & use a 700 short action on my grandson's rifle.

Regards,
Ron

I wish I'd have done that. Mine ended up great, but I could have bought a Stiller or Pierce for the same money. I could also been able to use a Shilen trigger also.

Way back when in the '70's, Tom Seitz used to make LV rifles on the XP100 action. I THINK he used converted 700 2 oz triggers by Burns. These were wood stocked rifles so I think they were screwed in, not glued. He may have drilled the action for another screw.

I wish I'd had him make me one back then.

Regards,
Ron

From the past...

There have been a couple of posts looking for Coquille Valley Machine Works. Willie, the owner, makes an alloy trigger guard/bottom metal replacement that fits all the 600/660/Mohawk models. People were having trouble reaching him, apparently. I just ran across a recent (October 2016) thread on CalGuns forum with his new phone number, 541-260-6246. He's still making them and they are still "$85.00 to any door in the Lower 48." Several of his customers said his look considerably better than the steel ones available from Heritage Arms via Brownell's, at roughly half the price of theirs. I plan to try one for my newly acquired 600. I'll let you know how it works out. Weight's not likely an issue for those of you making BR rifles out of them, but for those who plan to keep theirs in hunting trim, the alloy unit should weigh in around what the original plastic one did, so your light rifle won't put on the pounds.

RJM
I'm curious about where another action screw could be placed; there is no room in the tang area. I used to be hot for a Fajen semi-bullpup XP100 rifle. I THINK it used a threaded stock implant, with a perhaps-longer XP bolt screwed in from the top.

OP, you may be able to order a blind magazine semi-finished stock, and use a 700 ADL, or Krag trigger guard.
F1

I put one of Willie's bottom metals on my 600 but the old screw was not long enough. I had to make a new screw as you cannot buy them. Not a big deal if you have the tools, however. Great bottom metal.

I put one of Willie's bottom metals on my 600 but the old screw was not long enough. I had to make a new screw as you cannot buy them. Not a big deal if you have the tools, however. Great bottom metal.

Dennis, I drilled and tapped my Grandson's 600 for the 1/4"x28 rear screw.

Butch- I have no idea what size the hole was to begin with. It has been several years. It was easy enough to make a screw and all I use the rifle for is calling coyotes- gets beat around quite a bit but has held up fine.

Dennis

Back