Redding Press Forster Dies to short??

T

thedrifter

Hey guys, to make this short and sweet, I recently purchased a New Redding Big Boss II Reloading press, my old press died (Chinese POS), anyways I am just starting with reloading 6mm BR Norma. I have a Forster Die set and I just do not have enough threads to make good contact when I install the die, the Lock Ring only grabs 1 maybe 2 threads.

Im thinking i need one of these:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...sionGUID=a1e24470-9c26-53ba-3c75-e80103719615 Size Number 1.

what are your thoughts on this matter? has anyone else experienced this? I could share a picture if I need to.

my rifle is not back from the smith yet so I have time to sort this out properly.

I wouldn't be too hasty in using an extended shell holder as that introduces too much play into the equation.

That's what my concern was with the shell holder.

As for the use of the rifle this is going to be my new prone rifle mostly NRA Midrange 600 yard shooting. but i dont see how that plays a factor, i would still want to load the most accurate round possible...

Does Redding manufacture a longer ram for their press? sounds like I will make that call today and see what they say.

as you can see its my bullet seating die that is running out of room, and that makes me nervous, but I'm sure it would be ok.

this die looks good

And looking at this angle i dont know if i have room for an extended shellholder...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well because there is a large diff in the accuracy requirement for a 600 yard bench rest rifle and a pd rifle...

This might change how ammo might be loaded for the rifle in question.

BUT...SCHIT YOU HAVE IT ALL COVERED...WHY ASK HERE ??

Well because there is a large diff in the accuracy requirement for a 600 yard bench rest rifle and a pd rifle...

So you think a prone rifle shooter doesn't deserve the most consistent ammo he/she is capable of loading? I like to think the prone shooter requirements are just as demanding as any BR shooter, yes I factor into the equation but if I am going into the trouble to load ammunition why should I be satisfied with a mentality of "I'm a prone shooter it doesn't matter" I feel that I deserve a rifle capable of shooting 600 with 60x at 600 yards. or 600 & 60 Centers on the ISSF 300 meter target. thats my true aim. That X ring is 50mm or 1.9" in diameter that requires an ammunition that's shooting at or below .5 MOA. Easy enough for the 6br, but why should I leave anything to chance?

SO I asked my questions:

what are your thoughts on this matter?

has anyone else experienced this?

Is the extended shell holder the Solution? or should I be looking into other solutions?

Redding's site states the following:

"These top of the line single station presses have the largest window opening and longest usable ram stroke of any in their class.
Both the original Big Boss and the new Big Boss II reloading presses have all the desirable features of the “Boss” reloading press, but are built on heavier frames with a 1” diameter ram and longer 3.8” usable ram stroke for reloading the largest magnum cartridges."

Your press has one of the longest stokes, hence short cases are problematic in this press, your solution of the shell holder extension is probably your best solution.
Gort

! do not believe most BENCHREST shooters RELOAD on presses.
Your choice to RELOAD on a press is why i asked what the rifle would be used for.
From what i have seen and read.
.5 moa will not make it in 600 yd br.
the 5 shot record is around 1/2" and you would be 6 x that before the wind.

so if you want 1/2 moa:
Switch out to a lee classic steel single stage.
No need for a extended shell holder that may tilt your brass.

So you think a prone rifle shooter doesn't deserve the most consistent ammo he/she is capable of loading? I like to think the prone shooter requirements are just as demanding as any BR shooter, yes I factor into the equation but if I am going into the trouble to load ammunition why should I be satisfied with a mentality of "I'm a prone shooter it doesn't matter" I feel that I deserve a rifle capable of shooting 600 with 60x at 600 yards. or 600 & 60 Centers on the ISSF 300 meter target. thats my true aim. That X ring is 50mm or 1.9" in diameter that requires an ammunition that's shooting at or below .5 MOA. Easy enough for the 6br, but why should I leave anything to chance?

SO I asked my questions:

what are your thoughts on this matter?

has anyone else experienced this?

Is the extended shell holder the Solution? or should I be looking into other solutions?

the drifter,
It would seem that you may want to investigate a different press. If you use the extended shell holder, you may find it difficult to feed the case and bullet smoothly into the bottom of the die, because it will be an inch and a half farther up in the press threads. The description of the extended shell holder mentions trimming, which would not have this issue. Just out of curiosity, would you measure from the top of your presses insert to the top of your shell holder, using the back of dial calipers like a depth mic.? I would like to compare your press to a couple of mine. Another question, do you load calibers where the big opening of your press is an advantage? It may be that the smaller version of your press, that does not have the insert, may be shorter from top to shell holder. A call to Redding should give you that information.

As to benchrest shooters using conventional presses, they commonly do, for sizing, but arbor press seating dies are far more common than threaded ones. A friend has done some work with slight modifications to the Forster seating dies and has found that they can yield result equivalent to a Wilson seater, so I would not be deterred from using what you have. He shoots NBRSA benchrest, and his groups are competitive. He has won individual matches and placed well in aggregates. He uses a small press that has not given him the problem that you have. For small calibers, the Harrell presses are convenient. I have a couple of them, a Combo and a Turret. Since the Turret is out and mounted I have measured from its top to the top of the ram, and subtracted a quarter inch (for the shell holder) giving a top of press to top of shell holder dimension of 1.215. If you want a single stage press, they make three different sizes. For sizing cases of BR length the smaller one is the right size, but to have more room for bullet seating I would pick one of the longer two.

Rather than using a thinner die ring, just screw the die in farther. Structural bolting requires 3 threads engagement for an adequate joint, so you can go deeper into the ring.

Back