Redding Comp seater runout?

elmerdeer

I have a RCBS Rockchucker supreme press and my runout on my 7mag is very good between .0005-002" I use lee collet necksizer and a Redding comp seater with nosler brass and 160grs accubonds. So now my problem, I also have the exact same setup for my 280AI using the same dies and brass, and the bullets are 140 accubonds, so why do I get runout of 0035"-009" out of my setup for the 280 AI? I have tried using an O-ring under the seater and it got a little better around 003" to 005" but that is not what I like. I am also waiting for my gunsmith to ream my Forster comp seater with the reamer used for my chamber and then I can compare if it gets better. But aside from that why is the 7mag get much less runout than my 280AI?
Thanks
Elmer

Elmer

It has been my experience that a lot of the runnout that appears in a loaded round is not induced by the seater, but is a product of the sizing operation. If a case comes out of the sizing die crooked, the seater will not do that good of a job straightenning it out.

What type of sizer are you using????........jackie

It has been my experience that a lot of the runnout that appears in a loaded round is not induced by the seater, but is a product of the sizing operation. If a case comes out of the sizing die crooked, the seater will not do that good of a job straightenning it out.

What type of sizer are you using????........jackie
a Lee colet neck sizer.
Elmer

Chased this dog before

It sounds like you know how to step up the sizing and seating dies; therefore it has been my experence that the problem is the brass.

I have have used with great success both RWS and Norma brass in my .280 IMP. My runout is never more than 0.015 on the bullet about 0.100 in front of the case neck.

Sure wish Lapua made .280 brass.

Has anyone try the new Nosler .280 Imp brass with success?

Elmer,

I checked that Lee doesn't make a die for the .280AI, just the standard round.

Did you get them to make a custom die for you or did you modify a standard die for the shoulder?

John

Elmer,

I checked that Lee doesn't make a die for the .280AI, just the standard round.

Did you get them to make a custom die for you or did you modify a standard die for the shoulder?

John
I called Lee and they told me that their standard dies will work for the ackley version so that is what I am using.
Elmer

Back