recommendations for varget powder for 30-06

C

Cherrywood

Does anyone have data using Varget powder for 30-06 cal. using a Sierra 168 gr hp match king?
I am trying to come up with a good starting powder wt using Varget powder for 100/200 yard competition. I have loading manuals that I can use but I would like a consensus of opinion as to what charge wt works well with that bullet? This is a Tikka rifle fitted with a Hart 22" bbl, 1/10" twist. I purchased Varget Powder recently at an unbelievable price. Never used this powder b4 and could use your experiences with it.
Hope I have made clear what I am looking for. Thanks.

I accidently listed this post here instead of the general discussion group. My apologies.

Gunney

Last edited by a moderator:
varget is too fast for 165 gr bullets in 30-06. You will get dangerously high pressures. Best place to start is with 4350 powder.

larry are you pulling his leg or what....
varget with a 168 will do over 2700fps in 22".....while a case full of h4350 is only good for 2660 or so with a very low burn pressure.
this is all in the wrong forum..and he was told....
?????
mike in co

According to my software, 49g of Varget is 88.5% capacity and max pressure of 47000psi (about 20% below MAX pressure) -- probably a safe place to start, muzzle velocity expected to come at 2644.

53.5 gr is the **calculated** max... approach that number carefully. 96.7% capacity, 2853 fps.

All in all, the combination looks worth trying... good capacity ratio and 95% burn while the bullet is 12-15" down that barrel.

Rod

Back