rechambering a old barrel

iltghh

I am rechambering a old barrel however i haven't done this for a lot of years here is where i need some help. I'm using a hall action an i need to get help or advise on the measurements of thread length . I know to take firing pin out to take away the spring tension. Do i measure with depth mikes from face of action to center of bolt for that depth? If someone could give me a step by step i would appreciate it. Thanks

1. Safety First: Ensure you are working in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety precautions, including wearing appropriate eye and ear protection.
  2. Disassemble the Action: Remove the bolt and firing pin from the action. This will prevent any accidental discharge and allow for easier measurement.
  3. Remove the Barrel: If you haven't done so already, remove the old barrel from the action. Follow any specific instructions for your particular rifle model.
  4. Measure Existing Chamber: Use appropriate measuring tools, such as depth micrometers, to measure the length of the existing chamber. Measure from the face of the action to the center of the bolt. This measurement will help you determine the proper depth for the new chamber.
  5. Determine Thread Length: Determine the required thread length for your barrel. This measurement will depend on factors such as the specific action, barrel tenon length, and the type of thread used. Consult the manufacturer's specifications or seek advice from experienced gunsmiths or experts in your specific rifle model to determine the correct thread length.
  6. Prepare the Barrel: Clean and inspect the new barrel thoroughly before proceeding. Ensure that the barrel threads are clean and free from any debris or damage.
  7. Prepare the Action: Clean the threads in the action where the barrel will be installed. Remove any dirt, debris, or old thread locking compounds.
  8. Apply Thread Compound: Apply an appropriate thread locking compound to the barrel threads. This will help secure the barrel in place and prevent movement during firing.
  9. Thread the Barrel: Carefully thread the barrel into the action, ensuring that it is properly aligned. Use a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench or other suitable tools to apply the necessary torque. Be cautious not to over-tighten the barrel.wordle
  10. Align and Torque: Align the barrel properly with the action and torque it to the manufacturer's recommended specifications. Use a torque wrench to achieve the desired tightness, taking care not to exceed the recommended torque.
  11. Reassemble and Test: Once the barrel is properly installed, reassemble the action, including the bolt and firing pin. Ensure that all components are properly aligned and functional.
  12. Function and Safety Check: Perform a thorough function and safety check of the reassembled rifle. Check the action, bolt, trigger, and safety mechanisms to ensure proper operation. Triple-check that the rifle is unloaded before performing any function checks.

1. Safety First: Ensure you are working in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety precautions, including wearing appropriate eye and ear protection.
  2. Disassemble the Action: Remove the bolt and firing pin from the action. This will prevent any accidental discharge and allow for easier measurement.
  3. Remove the Barrel: If you haven't done so already, remove the old barrel from the action. Follow any specific instructions for your particular rifle model.
  4. Measure Existing Chamber: Use appropriate measuring tools, such as depth micrometers, to measure the length of the existing chamber. Measure from the face of the action to the center of the bolt. This measurement will help you determine the proper depth for the new chamber.
  5. Determine Thread Length: Determine the required thread length for your barrel. This measurement will depend on factors such as the specific action, barrel tenon length, and the type of thread used. Consult the manufacturer's specifications or seek advice from experienced gunsmiths or experts in your specific rifle model to determine the correct thread length.
  6. Prepare the Barrel: Clean and inspect the new barrel thoroughly before proceeding. Ensure that the barrel threads are clean and free from any debris or damage.
  7. Prepare the Action: Clean the threads in the action where the barrel will be installed. Remove any dirt, debris, or old thread locking compounds.
  8. Apply Thread Compound: Apply an appropriate thread locking compound to the barrel threads. This will help secure the barrel in place and prevent movement during firing.
  9. Thread the Barrel: Carefully thread the barrel into the action, ensuring that it is properly aligned. Use a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench or other suitable tools to apply the necessary torque. Be cautious not to over-tighten the barrel.wordle
  10. Align and Torque: Align the barrel properly with the action and torque it to the manufacturer's recommended specifications. Use a torque wrench to achieve the desired tightness, taking care not to exceed the recommended torque.
  11. Reassemble and Test: Once the barrel is properly installed, reassemble the action, including the bolt and firing pin. Ensure that all components are properly aligned and functional.
  12. Function and Safety Check: Perform a thorough function and safety check of the reassembled rifle. Check the action, bolt, trigger, and safety mechanisms to ensure proper operation. Triple-check that the rifle is unloaded before performing any function checks.

"Amazing bit of filth over here Dennis........."

I just filmed a segment on this phenomena in which I point out that this sort of thing is neither MIS-information nor DIS-information..... it's simply NON-information. And it makes most folks all warm and fuzzy because it's "non-confrontational"....which is shorthand for "non-useful

We called it "blowing smoke up their skirts" in my day. Nowadays it's considered to be "information" on nearly every forum on the 'net.

"Amazing bit of filth over here Dennis........."

I just filmed a segment on this phenomena in which I point out that this sort of thing is neither MIS-information nor DIS-information..... it's simply NON-information. And it makes most folks all warm and fuzzy because it's "non-confrontational"....which is shorthand for "non-useful

We called it "blowing smoke up their skirts" in my day. Nowadays it's considered to be "information" on nearly every forum on the 'net.

A day after saying no one should reply to 'bot spam'... you did. Also note user name and post count...

GsT

I "replied to it" only to point it out as an example.....no key interaction words. I did not educate it, only confused it.

Your point re post count/name I agree with. But I've replied to literally hundreds of low-count posts theough the years. Some guys are shy and I believe in welcoming new people.

Back