rechamber a 223???

lriner

I know zero about rifle smithing.I've got a 223 savage with a huge chamber,splits the brass at the neck after a couple of firings.Oddly enough,it shoots arround .5.So,I've ordered a barrel from Shilen and was wondering If the old barrel barrel could be accurately rechambered to a 22-250 as the barrel has very few rounds through it.I've got a sav. 243 that I could screw it on.thanks,,,,,,,,,,Lynn

What you have

is a smaller bolt face with the .223. you will need to replace the bolt face to be able to use a 22-250 or 243 barrel. The cases are bigger @ the butt

If it is somewhat close to new (or not) and has not been "messed with" I would contact Savage and send it back to them for a warranty barrel.

George

Of course you could rechamber and run it on your .243 action. You might as well set it back a little while you are at it, No harm.

223 split necks

I had a 22.250 that split necks on second or third firing.....changed to a type
S die with just enough sizing to hold bullet. With this die set up only sized brass enough to make it function.
JM

lriner .....

.22 cal. cases tend to split much easier than .30 cal. cases. However, it shouldn't happen on the second firing. Neck cracks will occur sooner if you chamfer your cases too far, or if you tumble your brass with certain chemical cleaners.

Try measuring the neck diameter of your fired cases, and see how much your cases are expending (compared to a loaded round). Also, you can avoid over working (and hardening) your brass by using a Redding Type-S resizing die (with the right collet). Those neck bushings allow you to avoid using an expander button, and that's a huge advantage for controlling neck tension. This tech tip might save you some money, improve your accuracy and resolve your neck cracking at the same time.

- Innovative
(For more tech tips check out our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM )

was wondering...

How could a chamber be that far off? I neck sized some cases some time back and a few got lost in the mix. A couple wound up being chambered in other 223's and they stuck and almost didn't get them extracted. Haven't measured the neck after firing, but can literally drop a bullet in a fired case. But,one more question...I assume a chamber reamer has a pilot that aligns the reamer on the center line of the bore.With the barrel already chambered, the pilot will no longer reach the bore.....WILL THE REAMER HAVE A TENDENCY TO "WALK"?....Really Appreciate ya'lls input.Lynn

The quickest way to see IF your chamber really is that far off is to measure the neck of your fired brass. Even though it appears to be a huge chamber, you should measure your cases to know for sure. It's very unlikely to be bad enough to cause cracked necks . . . . although it is possible. Dropping a bullet into a fired case is perfectly normal, unless you've got a custom chamber.

Reamer pilot bearings are available in different sizes to fit your particular bore perfectly. It contacts the lands of your barrel, and keeps your reamer cutting concentric to the bore. Take some measurements, and save money where you can . . . . buy more ammo.

- Innovative

Back