reamer stop?

I wanted to know if the PTG micro stop was worth the $200+. I only have one reamer and I would like to make it easier on my gunsmith to make my chambers deadnuts to each other. I emailed PTG to see if I could just buy one and not the kit but haven't heard back.
Brush

I use the stop

This will not help your GS much as it indexes on the end of the barrel. If the GS puts the end of the barrel in a different place HS will be different. However it's done if barrels end up wildly different you need a new GS that pays attention.

They are deffinatly worth it. I have one on each of the reamer I use regularly. As long as the reference surface on the barrel is the same, your chambers will be the same.

I agree with Ian. The tenon end must be the same in order for the repeatability. Not that that is hard to do mind you. Say if you were chambering 3 barrels for the same action. One could make a simple collar that fit the reamer 7/16" shank with a set screw. Once proper depth was made on the first, set the collar and you are done.

Now, if you have no way of accurately advancing the reamer each time it is pulled out to clean and going back in, it would give you the ability to sneak up to where you want to be. There are many ways to do this too, without the adjustable stop.

I wanted to know if the PTG micro stop was worth the $200+. I only have one reamer and I would like to make it easier on my gunsmith to make my chambers deadnuts to each other. I emailed PTG to see if I could just buy one and not the kit but haven't heard back.
Brush

The Lambeth/Kiff Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop is only sold as an 8 piece set.
Nat Lambeth

Nat, is there a rule of thumb for picking which body/collar combination to use for a particular reamer? Every so often I'll get a new caliber reamer and spend a few minutes picking the right combination of body and collar length. It's not particularly annoying or anything, but each time I'm wondering if there is some formula for picking the right combination the first time that I'm missing...

IMHO, while it's a good tool, I fail to see the need and a spare die is cheaper. All either will spare you is not having to re-adjust the die. OTOH, I see it as being very nice on throating reamers and rimfire reamers.

Picking the right Body when using the MARS

Nat, is there a rule of thumb for picking which body/collar combination to use for a particular reamer? Every so often I'll get a new caliber reamer and spend a few minutes picking the right combination of body and collar length. It's not particularly annoying or anything, but each time I'm wondering if there is some formula for picking the right combination the first time that I'm missing...

Jay: I will say it is mostly trial and error. I use the .750", 1.00", and 1.250" mostly with chamber reamers. I use the 1.750", and the 1.50" when using the MARS with a throating reamer.

Picking the right parts

Once I go through the effort to get the reamer set up properly I keep a list of the reamer and what worked last time for setup. I also setup so that the reamer can't be pushed further into the holder and then the stop can not be pushed along the reamer as well or Murphy will bite you.

At work I have multiple stops, with them kept on the reamers we use everyday. We do test barrels in batches of ten. With the stop, I can make everyone identical.

Brush

Bob,
I had the same concern as you and George Carter told me about a slick little gadget he made up, something he said he learned from Vic Swindlehurst. It's cup that fits over the barrel shank and bottoms out on the barrel shoulder. The other end of the cup has a reamed hole for a one inch micrometer head. This is nothing more than a comparator that you read with your depth mike. It centers your head space gauge every time so that you allways get the SAME reading. That combined with .001 readings on my tail stock enables me to duplicate chambers within a couple tenths. Tell Don I said hello!

Back