Really could use help..CZ 452 Varmit or American ?

matchman

I do not hunt just Target shoot. Informal.. prone, Sand bag rested ect. Not real sure I will use my Hart rest as I only have a crap table to shoot off.
Any ways I plan on bedding ect to get it as accurate as I can.
I understand the American has 2 action screws and the Varmint 1 Action and one on the Barrel. Im kinda getting hung up on that fact for some reason.
Is one platform better to start with to get a better result ?
You help is Greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Adam

Specifically, I don't know..

...But theoretically, bedding would correct any problem one had over the other in terms of where the screws are. To illustrate the extent, you could glue the action and throw the screws away.

Adam, the 453 has the better trigger. the 452 american has the floating dovetail at the tang, and to me is the main reason accuracy is affected more on the american than any model. the lack of a target grade trigger in my opinion hurts acuracy more than bedding would help. the 2010 model 452 are being revised to have the tang drilled and tapped, if you are contemplating purchase waiting a couple months untill the new models are out may be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a little confused?
Quote " the floating dovetail at the tang, and to me is the main reason accuracy is affected more on the american"
Searching the internet it seams the complaints are of the Varmint version with the floating Dovetail in the Barrel and only 1 action screw mount.
searching the net it looks like The hot rod fix for the Varmint is a rear mount at the tang (welding a mount). Seams the American already has this for the most part.
As far as the trigger goes the $15 brooks kit can get pull down to 6-8oz.
A little stoning and it should be good. Not benchrest good but great for my use.
The 453 not worth the $100 more to me.
Thanks for the input.
Adam

Last edited:
Adam,all american 452's have a floating lug and dovetail at the tang. the barrel lugs on the 452's are pinned and soldered with the rear sight. all of my cz's have the eric brooks kit, none are in the class of a match trigger. there is enough movement in the stock and action that each time the barrel action is removed and reinstalled it ends up in a different location, a little bit of steel crayon marker on the dovetail will confirm this movement. if you are going to bed the 452 action the floating lug and dovetail must be addressed first. it is fairly simple to remove the barrel lug and drill and tap the tang area. it's pretty obvious that cz designed this lug dovetail for alignment purposes and they are changing it to a drilled and tapped tang. if you want accuracy you better be able to put the action into the stock the same place every time.

For what it's worth, I have a 452 Varmint which has had the original "barrel lug" removed. The lug has been re-posistioned to the rear of the action and welded to the underside of the tang, similar to the American but welded in place.

I can't swear that it shoots any better in this location, but I just feel better about it, having the 2 action screws (one between the mag well and the trigger, and the other into the welded lug at the tang). Having the rear action screw and lug also provides a handy location for a second spot for a pillar (if you want to pillar bed the rifle).

I also have a Timney trigger, which results in a very crisp let-off. The automated solutions sear is very popular with CZ shooters as well. The Brooks type kit works well for some, and not so well for others.

As far as accuracy between the heavy barrel and standard is it true its the same, and just a personal preference for the extra weight ?
Martin, thank you , I hope I did not come off as an ass in my posting.
Adam

considered a BRNO?

Howdy!
Something that might be worthy of your consideration is a BRNO #3 or #4 target rifle. The CZ is sort of "descended" from these. These are match grade rifles with better triggers and competition iron sights. They show up fairly frequently on gunbroker.com, often in mint or near mint condition, and surprisingly often they are less expensive than a new CZ.

They are often called "the poor man's Anschutz". Go to rimfirecentral.com forums, specifically the CZ forums. Pack a lunch, these guys are gurus about all things CZ and BRNO!

Good luck!
Greg

DSCN0864.jpgthe problem starts with that dovetail that floats, continues with the oversized holes and then the alignment starts with the need for pillers and the proximity of the forward action screw and the sear and mag well. some of the other brno's as mentioned are much easier to upgrade. if deciding to bed the 452 american you can't do just half.

Adam, I didn't take it that way. only pointing out that better results on bedding is done with the cz's with barrel lugs. they seem to respond to only bedding that area or placing a washer in the stock for floating and support. for the americans that I know that got good results did the entire bedding process and started by permantly fixing that lug. I have a number of these cz's and they are accurate right out of the box, their one hold back is not having a 2oz trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
ACTION.jpg

Here is my 452 action from a Varmint the gunsmith added the block for the second screw
PILLARS.jpg

Pillars
BRNO.jpg

BRNO1.jpg

Don Stith stock waiting for the Broughton barrel
Hall2.jpg

L4.jpg

BHBR.jpg

1112.jpg

other goodies

My 452 had a crap trigger so I ordered the Brooks parts and had to file a complaint with PayPal to get my money back when he didn't send the parts.

The Rifle Basics drop in trigger was far from drop in and didn't bring it to anywhere near a target trigger.

I bought a Savage with the accu trigger. I had to take several coils off the trigger spring to get it under 2#'s but I'm now pleased.

Dick's has them on sale, this week, for $299 with scope.

Al Kunard

My CZ 452 Varmint had a great piece of wood and a terrible trigger when I got it new. I put in a Brook's trigger kit and I glass bedded the action. I learned how to shoot 50/50 with it. It is fairly accurate now but it is not a a benchrest rifle. It is what it is.

At our club's last monthly silhouette match I won first with 38 out of 40 of the steel animals. Still good enough to win offhand.

Concho Bill

Bill, all of the cz's with the barrel lug that I have seen go from good shooters to really good shooters, have had 1" or so of the barrel bedded or under and around the barrel lug. that's some good shooting and with all these being sold hopefully it won't be long untill a match trigger comes along. more of these cz's show up at our ranges lately than all the other .22's combined.

So I gather the bottom line is if I cannot wait. It does not matter if I go with the Varmint or American as either one needs work done for a rear receiver mounting lug (revised or added).
I think the 453 varmint may be the wise choice due to the trigger.
Kinda steep $120 extra but the 453 is on order.
Thanks Everyone for the Help!
Adam

Last edited:
I have them both 452 and 453 SS trigger I like the 452 better my trigger is at 3 oz. with a Rimfire Technologies Adjustable sear and the next to lightest spring from the Yodave kit.
P1010042-3.jpg

is the 2010 model the 455 or are they still making the 452 american

This is a 2009 thread, so I don't know if the original folks will answer.

I understand that the 452 American has been discontinued, but there are a few remaining at dealers or a few distributors.

I owned a 452 Varmint a few years ago, glass-bedded it, and had a difficult time to get it to shoot with the stud in the barrel. Only after installing a new forward screw in the receiver and a pressure pad in the forend did it shoot well. The chamber was a bit loose for top accuracy, however.

Picher

Back