Re-barreling?

750k2

When you re-barrel what are the costs?
Assuming a high quality action BAT,Farley Stolle etc....
Do you have to send the action in or are the tolerances so close
they thread and head space with out hands on?
Thinking on finally taking the plunge.
Will have more stupid questions to follow.
:confused:

Maybe, Maybe NOT

Some Actions you can, some you can't. Most BR Gunsmiths are going to want to put their hands on it and measure it, but they keep these measurements so from then on you can just order one. Best advise pick your gunsmith and talk to them. On gunsmiths, they are like mechanics, find a good one and stick with him.

oh and cost, barrels run about 300 and 200 to screw it on.

Sam

Thanks for the help - you guys are like trap shooters:(

Just relax a little. There was only a few hours between your first post and your followup.

Most smiths I deal with want the action in their hands when they thread and chamber a new barrel. While they may keep the specs on hand, they want to make sure the lugs are wearing well, there has been no lug setback, or galling.

I often have multiple barrels fit at once.

Man...I'm telling you...

There are some GREAT benchrest shooters in Wisconsin. See if you can find a benchrest match in your area and go. Chances are there may be a few guys there who build rifles. This is your best bet if you want a rifle built or a barrel replacement. This way you can build a relationship between him and yourself. In addition, if he turns out to be located close enough to you, you won't have to fool around with the inconvenience of shipping. Also, he will know EXACTLY what you need and how to build it.

There ought to be some Wisconsin forum members on here that can steer you in the right direction.

Good luck,
virg

If you are talking about a typical Benchrest Rifle, a LV or HV barrel blank will cost about $285. For the few shooters that I do barrels for, I charge $210 for the work.

If I have a barrel off of a Rifle that was known to be functioning up to standard, then I can duplicate the dimensions andit will be fine.

Bat and Kelbly, (Panda), actions offer a certain degree of interchangability. But there are always manufacturing tolerances in every piece of equipment. The only time you run into a problem is perhaps if the shooter has three Rifles, and he would like for the same brass to work in each. I can do this, as long as I did the originol. Most of the shooters I do barrels for now can use the same cases from one 6PPC to another. But, I do have to take certain pains to insure this.

As for your second post, I don't know what you expect. You come on this Forum with no identity other than a made up handle, and expect others to emmediatly give you answers. Most of us work for a living, and help other shooters when we can find the time to sit down and give a question serious thought.

You will find that Benchrest Shooters are very accomodating in helping new shooters who are ignorant. Multitudes of shooters benefit greatly from the info passed on this Forum, and are thankful for it.........jackie

Get to know your smith

The latest rifle I (HE) am building we talk about what it would be used for and I let the man pick the parts that being said I am new to this sport and am getting the benifit all of his knowlage

Back