Ray Morgan Match Score?

Catfish1713

Hello,

This question is not exactly about a rifle, but rather it's about rifle builder Ray Morgan.

In my father's papers I came across the attached letter and score sheet from a match held in Jordan, NY (about 15 miles west of Syracuse) at the Elbridge Rod and Gun Club. The sheets are undated, but I expect they're from the mid- to late 1940s. One of the shooters is listed as 'R. Morgan'.

Ray's shop was in New Haven, CT, and a trip today from there to Jordan, using interstates that didn't exist back then, would take close to five hours.

From what any of you may know, how likely or possible is it that Ray would have made a trip like this to participate in a match? Did he compete on a regular basis?

The reason I'm asking is that my father, a gun dealer, was at that match, and I'm wondering if he may have met Ray Morgan there, and discussed having a rifle built for him. I have Morgan serial number 31, with a Johnson barrel dated 1948.

I've not been able to connect with the gun club, and I'm not sure if they still exist, so I thought I'd check here.

Thank you very much for any information.

(Edit - files are too large to upload; I'll try something different).

Larry Maher

Hello,

This question is not exactly about a rifle, but rather it's about rifle builder Ray Morgan.

In my father's papers I came across the attached letter and score sheet from a match held in Jordan, NY (about 15 miles west of Syracuse) at the Elbridge Rod and Gun Club. The sheets are undated, but I expect they're from the mid- to late 1940s. One of the shooters is listed as 'R. Morgan'.

Ray's shop was in New Haven, CT, and a trip today from there to Jordan, using interstates that didn't exist back then, would take close to five hours.

From what any of you may know, how likely or possible is it that Ray would have made a trip like this to participate in a match? Did he compete on a regular basis?

The reason I'm asking is that my father, a gun dealer, was at that match, and I'm wondering if he may have met Ray Morgan there, and discussed having a rifle built for him. I have Morgan serial number 31, with a Johnson barrel dated 1948.

I've not been able to connect with the gun club, and I'm not sure if they still exist, so I thought I'd check here.

Larry Maher
There is a web page for the gun club, and a contact number and email address on the linked page below.

Link included below:

FYI.

Rimfireshooter,

Thank you very much. I tried that number, and an email address with no luck. Their Facebook page has not had an entry since 2019.

Larry

OK, it looks like I was able to shrink the files so that they'd attach.

Attachments

• AB wood letter small.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 13
  • score sheet small.pdf
    103 KB · Views: 10
Hello,

Larry Maher
Howdy Larry,

Check your messages when you get a chance, please.

You should find one from several months ago.

If it is not showing, please let me know and I will re-send it.

Take care,

Greg

Back