Rate these actions

Bnhpr

Ben Hooper
I've been reading through a lot of posts and there seems to be a great variety of opinions on actions to build custom rifles from. I've always been a Remington 40x, 700 actions from my experience on a college shooting team. We also shot Winchester 52's and Anshutz rimfire. Which action is preferred by this group for custom high power?

I'm trying to rate the following:

Remington 700, 40X
Ruger 77 mk2
Winchester pre 64, post, new pre64 type
Savage
Remington 798
Mauser 98 copies
Obendorf
Husqvarna
Sako

Bnhpr

You will find that the majority of shooters who frequent this site use one of the readilly available Custom Actions as a basis for a Rifle that is to be used in some type of extreme accuracy discipline. That is what the level of accuracy demands.
Even many fine Hunting Rifles are now based on a Custom, such as The Lazerroni, Time Precision, McMillian, Dakota and others.
Of the "Factory" actions you listed, the Remington 700 and the 40X are by far the easiest to upgrade to the type of tolerances that a good Rifle Action demands. That being, machined surfaces that are all truely straight with each other,and in alignment with the bolt way. That is why they have been by far the most popular choice of shooters who want to build a custom Rifle on a Factory Action. Sure,the Remingtons are atrocious out of the box, but Gunsmiths have made good money for years "getting them right", because they are quite easy to work on.
All you have to do is look at most Custom Actions, and you will see that they are, in reality, improvements on the basic Remington design. Even the Panda and Viper, which at first glance look entirely different, share many of those basic design features.
Most of the others you listed have some sort of "quirk" that makes them too much of a hassle to fool with, that is, when compared to the Remington. But, going under the assumption that you can do anything, if time, and money allows, I suppose each of the others have some sort of following. .......jackie

If your goal is a custom high-power rifle, then start with a custom action. Making even a Remington into a "custom" action costs as much as buying a good custom.

My best advice is to find a good used rifle with the action length and set-up you desire and buy it. Replace the barrel and/or the stock and you will have a great rig. The prices on good used custom rifles seems to be ever going up, but they are mostly good values. For your money you will get a good action, a good trigger, usually a good stock -- all of which would cost double to buy new.

A used rifle with a truly "blueprinted" Remington action (some have never seen a good 'smiths lathe) is a bargain compared to building one from scratch. And will shoot with the best of 'em. A couple hundred more will usually get a nice Stolle, Viper, BAT, RFD, Borden, Nesika, Farley, wow!, the list goes on and on ... Sometimes a good used rifle can be bought for the price of a new action.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many custom actions.

I have 20 or so bolt action rifles, in various makes, mostly 700's, so I'll start there. I guess I need to do some more research about the custom actions.

I ordered a Remington 798 recently, and have not picked it up yet. I jumped into it, when I saw two of them at a shop of a local grumpy old gunsmith. He was rifling 30 cal barrels for them on his old Pratt and Whitney barreler. I asked him about the quality and he said they were OK. I took that as a compliment, since he says that Rem and Ruger actions are junk.

How about Barrels?

I've seen Adam's and Bennet for $80 through $400 Krieger Is there a hugh difference in quality there?

Thanks

Ben

Is there a caliber you're set on, or are you open there also?

Call Bruno's and order a true match grade barrel. A&B barrels are great for hunting barrels, but that is where they stop.

What is for sale in the classifieds? Take a look there - I've purchased three different used BR rifles and they all shot great!

Adrian

I'm just wondering... Mark from MI:)

The Gunsmith is Bill Morrison from Bradford Maine.

He's 84 years old and one of a Kind. He makes barrels out of a 20 ton pile of 4140 he purchased from The Timken Bearing Co. in the 60's. I don't even ask him to build me a barrel. He has a book full of orders that exceed his life expectancy. He started with a contract from the military to build 50 caliber machine gun barrels.

My neighbor, who collects military, has been friends with Bill for 40 years. He built Mike a 220 Swift on a Mauser action, and fitted a supertarget spot scope. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever put on the bench.

Pre-64 M70

I've been reading through a lot of posts and there seems to be a great variety of opinions on actions to build custom rifles from. I've always been a Remington 40x, 700 actions from my experience on a college shooting team. We also shot Winchester 52's and Anshutz rimfire. Which action is preferred by this group for custom high power?

I'm trying to rate the following:

Remington 700, 40X
Ruger 77 mk2
Winchester pre 64, post, new pre64 type
Savage
Remington 798
Mauser 98 copies
Obendorf
Husqvarna
Sako

Does "custom high power" mean you will compete with the rifle??

If, like many on this forum, you like accurate rifles but are not competing, think about a Pre-64 Model 70 action.

Many accurate custom rifles have been based on this action. It does not have the rigidity of some of the others but if you are not trying to squeeze the last 1/4 MOA out of your rifle for competing it doesn't make any difference.

Advantages of the old M70 include controlled round feeding, a coned breech, smooth, reliable feeding, a simple, great adjustable factory trigger, excellent 3-position safety, firing pin assembly that easily comes out of the bolt, good factory bottom metal and great looks. The M70 is an improved Mauser or Springfield.

Cycle a few rounds through a M70 that has been used a bit versus a Remington 700 and you will see the difference.

Oh, and don't fall for the hype that the newer M70 actions are as good as the older ones. The older ones ain't cheap but they are the only way to go. And buy those made before 1961 after which they declined somewhat in quality.

Vicvanb,
Pre64 M70 receivers are at least $650 and higher. The rifles are much higher. I think that there are better choices.
Butch

Action-Jackson...

Hey Ben,

What are you planning to use the action for? :confused:

Don't be afraid to be specific.:eek:

Cos, you are dealing with elements of highly clibrated tensioner adjusted hare-triggered anally analyzed retentive highly bucolic specifically directed detailed informationally and scientifically developed seat-of-the-pants opinions...;):rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Ok, I'm just talking about me..don't know 'bout anyone else...'cept maybe that Alinwa guy...is a little crazy.
Ps. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ben,

What are you planning to use the action for? :confused:

Don't be afraid to be specific.:eek:

Cos, you are dealing with elements of highly clibrated tensioner adjusted hare-triggered anally analyzed retentive highly bucolic specifically directed detailed informationally and scientifically developed seat-of-the-pants opinions...;):rolleyes:

Ok, I'm just talking about me..don't know 'bout anyone else...'cept maybe that Alinwa guy...is a little crazy.
Ps. Merry Christmas.

The rifle is more of a project/personal goal than for a planned use. For me, it's more about the process and, of course, fit and finish, then obtaining another rifle. What I'm saying, is that I have no planned use. I do some benchrest shooting, but I have rifles that shoot really well already. I just didn't build them myself.

I do research all suggestions. Even when people tell me I should consider an aluminum alloy reciever. :eek: I'll have to run that one by Bill

Now I have a reason to goto Maine!!! Mark:D

To see his shop is worth the ride up there. But don't expect a warm welcome, or even a conversation.

You have to hollar at him to get his attention. He's as deaf as a post. He has machine gun parts piled up like cord wood in the back of the shop. There were several Maxim widowmakers, 50's, m30's etc. Most i couldn't identify. He has a dump truck load of military parts In these hugh bins. And boxes and boxes of trophy's from shooting competitions he's won all over the world.

Just do it...

The 700 would be an excellent place to start.

But if you feel your skill is not there yet then I would start with a 98 then go str8 to the 700's.

V24's are an excellent 98 off the bat.

Have fun!

Not Quite

Vicvanb,
Pre64 M70 receivers are at least $650 and higher. The rifles are much higher. I think that there are better choices.
Butch

I just sold a complete action from a 30-06 for $550. There's a complete rifle (30-06) on GUNSAMERICA today for $700.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Back