Rails in Classifieds

Call them

I'm interested in opinions of how they work, not how they're advertised.

I don't recognize the name, nor do I remember anyone ever using one of these at a match in the Northwest.

I don't need to call them, I live an hour away and could go see them. Having a good-looking product that should work is vastly different than making a product that will work. Being competitive with one is the only thing that matters to me. What's the builder going to say?

Looking for objective information from a user (if there are any), not subjective information from the seller.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I haven't heard anything either, and was surprised to see a builder come in under the radar this close to us. Hey, if that one doesn't work out, I have my MacRail that won the Sniper King for sale.

Hope to see you in Tacoma this year.

Mustafa

Rail Gun

Here is a link to the brochure.
http://www.bptdesign.com/Rail Gun Brochure.pdf

I can say Craig is skilled machinist. He gave me a tour of the facility on Saturday. I was curious about the manufacturing. He answered any questions I had. Only the prototype has been shot in the northwest, to my knowledge. You won`t find anyone that can tell you if it will shoot, frankly it hasn`t been out there to be seen. I had the opportunity to see it, touch it, and get to know it a little bit. Let me tell you, its a work of art!
Jeff

Mustafa

Good to hear from you.

Yes, you will see me this year--component availability troubles satisfied for a couple of years anyway..

If your MacRail is still for sale next month, we talk about it at the match. Not sure I'm willing to pony up $1,700.00 to test a prototype, although stranger things have happened.

Thanks,

Lisa

I also had an opportunity to see this first hand. It's a beautiful rest, extremely well made and like Jeff said, Craig is a very skilled machinest. I'm sure he will have his prototype at the April shoot in Tacoma if anyone is interested. You might also call Russ Haydon. He knows Craig quite well and may have had some input on the design. Don't know that for sure, but I know he has examined it quite closely.
Tom

Just looking at the photos

It appears to be well made and certainly has every feature needed. In my opinion, the features are in the right places and not decorated unnecessarily.

The price is certainly right so you may want to get in early before he comes to his senses. May even be able to cut a better deal without the anodizing and the spring hooks.

competitive rail

how about Tom Dicksons old one, or an old Tom Dickson one,

I am getting Eric to post it in the classifieds as I can email pics but not put them in an ad. That one is proven and I dont need 3 rails. Was going to use one for rimfire but did not get around to it yet,
yup buying a proven one lessens the learn time for sure.

Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know anything about the rails that are for sale in the classifieds?

Thanks,

Lisa Spendlove

Hi Lisa,

Here are my thoughts on this newly introduced railgun;

-Good price for the hardware offered.

-First competition railgun that I have seen that has the rail "v" grooves machined into the rail top. This can be both good and bad. If the grooves are not synchronized or get dinged then the rail will not track properly and will be difficult to re-align/repair. Probably no tracking problem as delivered from the maker due to CNC mfg.

Most other rails have separate "v"s that are hardened and adjustable for proper tracking.

-Dont like the double spring idea, single spring would do fine, simpler and no concern for unequal tensionning.

-Nice feature of the machined-in dovetail to barrel block, no need to buy and fasten a separate dovetail base.

Real determining factor of whether this rail system is top-notch competitive, aside from shooting it and winning tournaments, is to determine if the windage/sighter mechanism is tight, lash-free, and stable during the firing process.............this will take someone with alot of railgun designing/building/repairing/adjusting/competitive shooting experience to dis-assemble the mechanism and check it.............someone like Bob Dodd, Jay Young, etc.....................................Don

Lisa,

You asked the right question. BR shooting is too competitive and too expensive to buy something unproven. If you buy someting used make sure you know its history, and you know it is capable of winning.

Don't buy anything because it is a "good deal". Spend the money upfront to get good equipment. There are very few good deals in BR. Actually, a good deal is a gun that is capable of winning -- nothing else matters in BR.

Paul O'Neal

An entry level railgun? There is no such thing. The Unlimited Class is truly about the ultimate in rifle accuracy; you can't be an Unlimited shooter and be on a buget. To set up a competitive railgun is a $5000 to $6000 expenditure at least. Buying "entry level" guns to shoot any class of Benchrest (with a capitol B) will cost you more and lead to a lot more fustration than buying the proper equipment upfront.

I am not trashing you or your product, but it obvious that you are not a BR shooter or you would understand why Lisa asked the question in the first place.

This is not necessarily directed at you; but, this board has far too many non-BR shooters giving BR advise.

Paul O'Neal

"What is the point?" The point is to put every bullet in the same hole.

I am not trying to get you to leave. I want to see you shoot your railgun.

Paul O'Neal

This is my entery level gun. It was never meant to be a national match winner that is what the more expensive guns are for. I am marketing it towards a different type of crowd. I invisioned it for people who do not want to spend alot of money for a rail and make them avaible to everyone because no one is currently making them and who wants to wait 2-3 years for a gun. As a test rest for any barreled action so the average person does not have to be an expert bag gunner. I test all my varmint guns on my personal gun.

I am working on an more advaced design for the big guns if they want a hot rod, but they are going to be more expensive and low production. That is why I am looking for ideas. I want to know what people will buy.

Will people buy a Dixon pattern gun if I make one? Even though only two have ever been made? That sounds unproven to me.

At the last regional meeting I attended the subject of trying to get new shooters in the sport came up. That is what I am trying to accomplish, make good cost effective products that eveyone can get.

I wish the experimenting came back in the sport. Trying to make something new and better instead of a slug fest of who can beat who. Think out side the box.

Craig

OK, Craig, you want outside the box, this is what I would change, and it will actually make the railgun better, simpler to mfg., simpler to use, and more flexible for experimentations and testing of various accuracy ideas;

2cfz66t.jpg

Don

A warning to all…

"Will people buy a Dixon pattern gun if I make one? Even though only two have ever been made? That sounds unproven to me."

For anyone even contemplating building a Dickson style RG, Tom and I would like to discourage this type of reckless misadventure. The only two in existence of this rail design and construction have shot two world records on the first two matches they ever competed in. One was in a non-sanctioned 300yd match, and the other during the Sniper King in Tacoma. Neither one of these records will ever go into the books, and that is a good enough reason to not pursue this unproven design any further.

Mustafa

Craig,
The Dickson is not an unproven RG. It is very well engineered and machined. I tried your 2 spring return and could not get it to be consistant. I would recommend a softer type stop. If you run and gun as you need to sometime, you will find that your rail has not settled down and still has vibrations. My rail gun was a Jerry Stiller-Joe Kubon design. It had adjustable holders for round tool steel rods that the delrin or tooling balls ran in. Similar to your design only rounds rods and they are adjustable for tracking. I'm with Don. It may be perfect as machined, but later it may need the tracking adjusted.
Butch

"Will people buy a Dixon pattern gun if I make one? Even though only two have ever been made? That sounds unproven to me."

No, but they will if Tom builds one.

"I did put all the bullets in one hole labor day weekend 2007 smallest group of the three days .103 with an experimental gun and cartridge but I did not win I came in last."

You consistantly miss the point.

Paul O'Neal

Back