question about value Grizzly G4003

V

VaughnSJ

Hey everybody, i'm new here, my name is Vaughn, and i have a bit of a situation that maybe you guys could help with.

My father passed away in February, he was a Gunsmith and a machinist. I am in the situation of trying to settle all his debt from when he passed on, that included liquidating some assets. he has a Grizzly G4003 with a ton of tooling, if i were to post pictures of stuff would you guys mind giving me some kind of realistic estimated value? I'm trying to get as many opinions as i can so i know i'm not getting screwed, because i have to squeeze as much as i can out of this stuff, otherwise i will be in a bad situation...

while it is honorable to try to pay off your dad's bills,
i doubt it is required by law. unless your name is on the bill
it is not yours.
if you are trying to preserve family property well different story.

It's none of our business whether you are his executor or what prompts you to take actions to settle his estate

I'm sure men here would be more than willing to help

Value of Grizzly 4003G

I have one and it is about 7 years old.. I paid about $3000 for it new.. depending on condition I would estimate it at $1750-$2000.. any special attachments may ad value, like a DRO..or taper attachment..

Eddie in Texas

I would say go ahead and post some pics of the lathe and the tooling and where you are located (just the state will be sufficient). It may be worth more to the people in your area because there are so few of them to be had.
Tooling can really make a difference in the value: collets, taper attachment, indicators, tool holders, insert tooling, etc...
Good luck, and hope you find someone worthy of the tools.
Mike

I sold one recently in Northern California and got $2500 for it. It had the Grizzly DRO, their gunsmith's chuck and a couple of different quick change tool posts, all Chinese. It had very low hours on it and looked mostly like new. I might have been able to ask more, but I wanted a quick sale and it was gone in a week on Craigslist. I included all the tooling that I wasn't that interested in any more as I am getting a better lathe with a TON of American tooling to replace it. I believe the 4003Gs aren't offered any more by Grizzly and the replacement model is somewhat more expensive. I got mine when they were $2300.

If you wanted to maximize your dollars, you might sell just the tool and then part out the tooling on eBay or something like that.

Grizzly 4003

I too had one (4003) on Craigslist, but no luck in selling it for $2990. It has tons of tooling including 6” Buck chuck, gages, levels and on and on. In hindsight I would have been money and time ahead getting barrels from a good gunsmith. But I had fun making them and trolling this web site to learn from the masters.
T Sims

Back