Question about hunter class magazines

LARRY FEUSSE

I wanted to know more about the requirements for hunter class rifles for both IBS and NBRSA. I know about capacity, but must the mag be functional and to what degree? Does it have to feed, does it have to hold the rounds, etc.

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry.
From the IBS[B/] rulebook:
"The action will have a magazine cut in its bottom and the magazine shall be capable of holding two or
more loaded rounds of ammunition for which the rifle barrel is chambered."

In general, an IBS legal gun needs to have a moveable follower and a cutout area in the stock. It doesn't actually require a metal mag box or spring. Most use a single shot adapter with a piece of foam rubber glued to the bottom of it into the cutout area of the stock.

From the NBRSA rulebook:

"Magazines shall not be required, but actions must be cut
out for a magazine. Such cutout must be large enough to
pass the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered. “Cartridge”
for this purpose shall mean the cartridge as ordinarily
configured, including a seated bullet, when held parallel to the
bore. A cartridge follower or ramp may be installed, but must
be attached to the stock and may not be attached to the action
by any means."

The stock need not have a mag cutout and the follower need not move. Some glue the follower to the stock, others set up their guns IBS-style so they can shoot both sanctioning bodies and be legal for both.

Hope this helps. -Al

Al,

Thanks for the reply.

IBS says "holding". Does that mean the mag must hold the rounds down so that when the bolt is pulled back the round doesn't jump out? Or does it mean that 2 rounds can be placed in it with the bolt closed, but they could come out when the bolt is opened.

I am like Clinton, it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

it means that the cutout space would allow 2 cartridges to lie in the well. Neither organization has required an operating magazine for a LONG time.

Thanks Dave. I thought that was what was meant, but I wanted to be sure. Help from guys like you and Al is much appreciated. Now I can get back to work on my rifle.

So I can get rid of the "operating magazine" an be legal? However, if I do an the rules state otherwise then I could shoot well at a match but........... have someone say he doesn't have a "operating magazine" an be DQ.

Jeff Aberegg

So I can get rid of the "operating magazine" an be legal? However, if I do an the rules state otherwise then I could shoot well at a match but........... have someone say he doesn't have a "operating magazine" an be DQ.

Both the IBS and NBRSA rules are on their respective websites. The reason I point this out is that NO ONE has a PRINTED version of the CURRENT rules for EITHER organization unless they have printed them from the respective website. None of the NBRSA books currently in circulation have the correct SCORE rules in them. And the IBS has not printed a rule book in a number of years. Go to the respective website and print the rules off. The NBRSA Score rules are only 4 pages.

Jeff, there's no requirement that the rifles actually feed from the magazine in either IBS or NBRSA.

In short: IBS requires a mag cut out in the stock and the follower has to move. NBRSA doesn't require the stock mag cutout and the follower doesn't have to move (as long as it's not permanently attached to the action). Both orgs. require a repeater-style magazine cut in the action.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Sheet foam "rubber" should surfice to hold the follower up out of the mag well. M rifles have a stacked leaf spring arangement but it is not necessary to meet the rules.

Back