Puff instead of POW!! What happened?

Easy E

Took my .243 to the indoor range today to try out some new berger bullets which I had just loaded several hours prior. First shot went off with a puff instead of a pow? Pulled the case out and it had several pieces of unburned powder left in it and I have no idea where the bullet ended up but it wasn't on paper. The next 5 went off just fine, what could I have screwed up on during the loading process?

How were you charging your cases? If the next five worked well it doesn't seem likely that you dropped a light charge in that case from a measure, and if you weighed charges it'd be unlikely that you somehow dumped half the charge all over the bench. If for some reason you were using a measure and hadn't fully cleared it of a previous slower powder you could have thrown the proper charge but the wrong (too slow) powder. If those weren't possible or likely, it could have been a bad primer, but primers either work or don't in my experience.

Strange occurrence for sure.

If I had to guess I would say moisture in case left from cleaning. I have had this happen many years ago with the results you mentioned.

Chuck.

what powder ? long grain powder can bridge at the exit of the powder measure and give you a light load....

pistol primer ?

mike in co

I've had it happen from both sizing lube and neck turning lube. Just a TINY bit of either can make a puffer.

I hate wiping out casenecks, this is the one loading job I despise.

al

puffer primers

I agree any of the causes could be responsible for a puffer primer. It doesn't take much contamination of a primer to do it. About two years ago a friend was in the top end of Australia shooting pigs. The temperatures were - in your scale 95 degrees f - but the humidity was almost 100%. Just exposing his primers to that condition saw the last rounds he made about 6 in all go puff. They were the primers that were exposed the longest to the conditions. So it don't take much.
Andy.

Back