Primer Question

J

James n TN

For those of you that's used the Federal 205m and the 205 in a match did you see any real world accuracy gains from one over the other?

For those of you that's used the Federal 205m and the 205 in a match did you see any real world accuracy gains from one over the other?
A lot of the times I get better numbers on my chronograph and tighter groups with the regular 205's than with the M's. Don't know why but it's happened quite a lot. In Tony Boyer's book he mentioned that he uses regular 205's because they are cheaper, have good consistency and a good hard cup.

A lot of the times I get better numbers on my chronograph and tighter groups with the regular 205's than with the M's. Don't know why but it's happened quite a lot. In Tony Boyer's book he mentioned that he uses regular 205's because they are cheaper, have good consistency and a good hard cup.

Thanks for your input Jim, I've always used the 205m and found some of the 205 so I wanted input before I purchased a truck load of them.

The rumor always has been that there is no difference at all physically, just a extra inspection of the 205 M.

I have used both through the years, I can not tell the difference.

The rumor always has been that there is no difference at all physically, just a extra inspection of the 205 M.

I have used both through the years, I can not tell the difference.

Thanks Jackie, I knew if anyone would know it be you guys here.

Don't know about that, but I do know I once bought a brick of 210GMs that had different colored primer cakes (or primer cake papers). I wasn't amused.

There was a big primer shortage once and me and Mark Luksic found some 205s at a gun shop in Jasper, Alabama. We bought a case and they worked wonderfully. The shortage ended and we went back to the 205M primers immediately. WHY?....your guess is as good as mine....

Back in the middle 80's several Federal reps showed up at Super Shoot and told my father that their is no difference in 205 to 205M's except that the 205M's are inspected more carefully. We have not shot a 205M since then. Funny thing is I have heard more problems with 205M's than 205's. Maybe it is because more people waste more money on 205M's, many people have been told this above but MENTALLY they have to use 205M's as the the match designation makes them feel better when they use them.

Reminds me of the ole story if someone wins a major match with a beer can on end of his barrel ( the joke back in 70's and 80's), the next match 30% or more will have a beer can on end of barrel. Don't we call that a tuner nowadays!!!!!!

Jim

There was a big primer shortage once and me and Mark Luksic found some 205s at a gun shop in Jasper, Alabama. We bought a case and they worked wonderfully. The shortage ended and we went back to the 205M primers immediately. WHY?....your guess is as good as mine....

Because Wilbur in most people's mind, once something has those 5 letters on it, (MATCH) they assume it is going to me better, which is a farce. All it is is a moneymaking tool. Remember, anything that says MATCH on it is automatically better, at least that's the way most people's minds have been trained.

Back