Primer question

jwv2001

I stopped at Cabela's in Reno yesterday and was drawn to the counter where the primers were located. No surprise that there wasn't any deals being offered but, my observations brought up this question. They offered CCI small rifle benchrest primers for $155/1000. There were also Winchester #41 small rifle primers for $79/1000. I've used these #41 primers previously with no problems. My question is "What exactly is a #41 primer and how is it different from a regular small rifle primer?" I used to use CCI small rifle benchrest primers. I didn't know what the difference was in them over a regular primers. Can anyone explain it to me?

Not sure about cci but the federal bench rest primers get an extra visual lnspection as opposed to the 205s.i expect cci does the same. The#41 primers are for 556nato round, they have an extra hard cup to prevent slam fires in the ar platform, much like magnum primers, the hard cup is for the extra pressure in magnum rounds. I have never used ar primers in anything else but i expect they would perform the same as a regular small rifle primer. This is my opinion only and maybe worth what you paid for it, nothing! 😁 I personally would not pay extra to have some one give my primers a second look.I do know that a number of people used magnum primers in their 30BRs for the hard cup that handles high pressure better.

Last edited:
Al & Mike, have either of you ever used the ar primers in anything else? I assume they would work fine unless you had a weak firing pin spring. Just curious for ya'lls experience or opinion.

Thanks for your replies. I've used these primers before and have found no differences in any way with their performance. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see any reason why the CCI Br4 primers should be double the price of the Winchester primers. I don't know if the price difference is the responsibility of CCI or Cabela's. I mean, manufacturing costs should be, for the most part, identical. Furthermore, I realize supply and demand plays a role in the final price of these primers but, not in the price difference between brands. It's almost like they are capitalizing on folks that think they are getting something special.

I think you are exactly right, they are selling a pipe dream for the most part. I use to buy the br primers when they were basically the same price, but when they went up i stopped. Haven't bought any in 20-25 years.Cci bears the blame for the price i'm certain

I tested a bunch of different brands last year, and the CCI 450 and BR4 primers shot better than any other brand. Unfortunately, they are among the most expensive. It doesn't pay to shoot primers that don't perform, so I keep buying them. Recently my local Sportsmans Warehouse got in 5K of the BR4's at $100/1000, and I bought every last one of them. Along with 2K of the 450's, I wont have to buy any more primers for a couple years.

Thanks for your replies. I've used these primers before and have found no differences in any way with their performance. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see any reason why the CCI Br4 primers should be double the price of the Winchester primers. I don't know if the price difference is the responsibility of CCI or Cabela's. I mean, manufacturing costs should be, for the most part, identical. Furthermore, I realize supply and demand plays a role in the final price of these primers but, not in the price difference between brands. It's almost like they are capitalizing on folks that think they are getting something special.
You have to pay for more inspectors. 205, 205M, and Win SR I have found no difference.
Well, I guess the difference would be what you can get.

You have to pay for more inspectors. 205, 205M, and Win SR I have found no difference.
Well, I guess the difference would be what you can get.
Hi Tim,
I didn't get caught short like last time and I have plenty of everything. Some of it I have never used before so I will be at the range more than I usually do. Going to be fun.

Mort

41 and 43 are commercial milspec primers. i have shot both and in my opinion they are not part of precision rifle shooting.
i use cc1 br's and 450, fed 205 205m 210 210 m 215 215m....some tulas and no friend of the ar primers either

Back