Price for used Savage 12 Benchrest 6.5 x.284

Hi gang:

This rifle came into the local gun shop for sale by the owner. He is asking $695.00 for the rifle, The owner thought that he had about 600 rounds through the barrel. It has twin ports and a laminated stock.

Is this a good price for this rifle? Will I be looking to replace the barrel soon? Would this rifle be a good choice to have it rebarreled with a Savage barrel in .223 or .308 to shoot Factory Class Benchrest?

What are your opinions of this rifle? Deal or no deal?

Stay well,

Zeke

Well, the 6.5X284 is a known barrel burner. If the previous owner thinks it has 600 rounds through it, it probably has much more. Doubt that that barrel has much life left. Price isn't bad though. I have two Savage 112BT's one in .223 and one in .308. They're very good.

I would figure on needing to replace the barrel soon. Figuring that, maybe you should price a new action & stock just to see what kind of deal it really is.
If it works out to be close to the same, then you could have everything brand new with the caliber of your choice.

I just did a quick search and came up with the same action with a 223 boltface for $529.99 with free shipping. It also includes the trigger group, recoil lug & trigger guard. So all you would need is the stock & a barrel. It would probably cost you a little more for brand new everything. Your decision. Check to see if the price on the used gun is negotiable.
A good barrel & price for installing will probably run about $500. So how much is a brand new factory rifle? Again....just food for thought.....your decision.

Yes, it's a decent price. As has been said, you should expect to need a barrel. You can get a new take off in several calibers from Jim Briggs - Northland Shooters Supply or if you don't mind a little wait, you can get a new Criterion pre chambered barrel for under $300.

Rick

I would grab it, like the above said the action is $540.00 for a dual port with all the hardware. So an action and stock with a shot out barrel(if it is) for $695 is a deal. However if you go here:
http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/
click on the list for used rifles scroll down to B103 and there is one with 30 rounds down the barrel and a Farrell base for $925.00 and that is a better deal. Just my 2 cents.

Back