PQP Short Tube

Rimfireshooter

I have a 2500X rifle and Harrell's tuner. I've been thinking about getting a PQP short tube but I need some help understanding how to use both the tuner and short tube for testing. If you have experience using a short tube with a Harrell's tuner, could you let me know how to setup the tuner and tube so I can do some ammo testing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RFS99

I have a 2500X rifle and Harrell's tuner. I've been thinking about getting a PQP short tube but I need some help understanding how to use both the tuner and short tube for testing. If you have experience using a short tube with a Harrell's tuner, could you let me know how to setup the tuner and tube so I can do some ammo testing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RFS99

You need to retune like you did initially.
That said, while you didn’t ask, Why ?
Newer shooters see pictures, read stuff, and decide to start hanging all kinds of crap on their guns.
Not for nothing but several guys tearing it up all over the place do so with a plain Harrells.

Short Tube

You need to retune like you did initially.
That said, while you didn’t ask, Why ?
Newer shooters see pictures, read stuff, and decide to start hanging all kinds of crap on their guns.
Not for nothing but several guys tearing it up all over the place do so with a plain Harrells.

Tim, thanks for your response, and I appreciate your perspective.

Since I am newer to a custom rifle and will be shooting ARA for the first time this season, I'm just looking for guidance. I've heard from two reputable sources that a short tube can improve accuracy, but nothing is guaranteed. So I am considering purchasing one to test.

A couple of specific questions about the short tube. Does it thread onto the tuner inner tube, or the outer shell? Once on, when I am ready to test again, do I use a starting point of ~100 on the tuner shell, and then only move the short tube weight out in small increments until I see any group size improvement? Or, should I be moving the tuner shell and the weight while I test? I'm just looking for the basics of how to use a short tube and a tuner at the same time to test the rifle.

Thanks,

RFS99

i would start tune where you are and then gradually go out & come in.
Don’t know if PQP threads are compatable or unique to Stillers own. Reach out to him.
Be aware, Harrels has had tubes short/long for their tuners, I’ve got a couple with a lovely layer of dust on’em.
I’m guessing a tube is a tube. Go test, but record your base tune.
Lastly, inner tube.

Last edited:
RFS99

I have to, I know it is hard to comprehend, agree with Tim.

Gadgets or ornaments or whatever you want to call them only enrich those who make and/or sell them.

I have a large box full of the things I have tested over the years. They remain in the box. With what I paid for them and all the ammo I wasted testing I could have had another rifle made, easily.

Assuming your barrel is .900 and about 24 to 25 inches long set the tuner at 160 and test in very small increments from there. Once you get it to shoot with good ammo then play all you want with the toys. I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can get the rifle to consistently shoot better with anything other than a standard Harrells.

Now if you are a metallic sights shooter a bloop tube can be a valuable addition. It increases the sighting plane by several inches, which is a significant improvement. Bob

For ARA save your time and money. They don't help. They actually hurt. bob

RFS99

Gadgets or ornaments or whatever you want to call them only enrich those who make and/or sell them.

I have a large box full of the things I have tested over the years. They remain in the box. With what I paid for them and all the ammo I wasted testing I could have had another rifle made, easily.

Assuming your barrel is .900 and about 24 to 25 inches long set the tuner at 160 and test in very small increments from there. Once you get it to shoot with good ammo then play all you want with the toys. I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can get the rifle to consistently shoot better with anything other than a standard Harrells.

Now if you are a metallic sights shooter a bloop tube can be a valuable addition. It increases the sighting plane by several inches, which is a significant improvement. Bob

Bob and Tim, thanks for your feedback. I will continue to play with my Harrell's until I get a bigger urge to add on some toys. I appreciate your thoughts on my questions.

Larry

RFS99
I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can get the rifle to consistently shoot better with anything other than a standard Harrells.

Hi, Bob does that offer go for me as well? I might be the unicorn but adding my bloop was pretty amazing and continues to be.

Bruce Hornstein

Hoke Kerns

RFS99

Wrote an article for PS magazine years ago titled " On 168 I do believe ". He asked me to do testing for the article, which I did, having 3 different tuners at the time. All three of them did tune the barrel @168. He mentioned me in the article. I don't remember the O.D. of the barrel but it was a Lilja.

Pete

Back