Powder of choice for 6-6.5x47 Lapua and .284 Shehane

Y

yat3b35

I have never loaded for either of these rounds , but am haveing 2 rifles built for the 600 - 1000 yard. Both will be on the maulty flat Bat MB RB Left load right eject. They are ordered , also both stocks will be Shehane 1000 yd stocks which are allready at my smiths waiting on the actions, Barrels Kreiger. I'm not going with a true heavy gun as I plan on useing it at other shoots that have weight limits of 25#. I figure someone here uses one or both of these chamberings and would be able to help me with powder choices. I'm not asking for your load , just a good choice and perhaps a starting point on the load.
My rifles will be built by Sid Goodling and will most likely not be ready untill next spring , just want to get a head start of compileing componets for each. Wanting to try Berger 108" for the 6 and Berger 180's for the 7. Both will be topped off with 12x42 Nighforce scopes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance John

Forgot to ask another question , sorry , but what is the best choice for non anjustable rear bag ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shehane works very well with H4831SC and H4350. Other powders that have worked well are N560, 7828SC, RL-22, and MRP. A great fire forming load for the Shehane is 54 grains of H4831SC. It will only be running at 2800 max, but it will be very accurate. I would give you exact loads for the top nodes, but I don't think Wilbur wants us to do that.

Note: If the Shehane will not shoot H4831SC or H4350, you have problems. Also, you CAN'T drive the Shehane like a 6mm light gun -- you will get vertical. If you learn to drive it correctly, it will hammer.

Good luck,
Jim Hardy

yat-I'm currently developing loads for my new 6.5 x 47 from a Hart 26" 8 twist w/Rem action. So far it finds 107 Mk and around 37g RE 15 lovely. VV 550 wasn't very good ..with 107 or 123 MK. Also tried Varget, all these bet 37-37.5g. May try 4350 but I'm homing in on RE 15 as I'm going PDing soon and have to get going. My 6.5-.284(very little dif. from Shehane) sports a Krieger 30" 8.5t on a Lawton action in a Manners comp. stock. I'm using 142 MK and 4831SC. RE 22 did pretty well and H4350 came in last. 51 g should get you started. With 49g I chron 2975. Hope this is helpful. I use a Protector deluxe rear as it is good and about half priceof an Edgewood.

I shoot a case very similar to the 6/6.5x54. It holds 52 grains water full to overflow; the .243 Winchester holds around 55 grains, and the 6mm XC is around 49 grains. Depends on brass, of course. The only info I found on the 6.5x54 Lapua was 48 grains to the base of the neck. Sounds like its right in the middle.

All that said, the best powder by far in my chambering has been H4350, in the 39-40 grain region. I tried 4831 and N550, not so good. More speed, less accuracy. My case uses Large Rifle primers, and for some reason, it shoots significantly better with the old Remington No. 9-1/2 primers. I imagine you will have to play a bit with primers, and perhaps opening up the flash hole. That will have to wait on the rifle, of course.

Not at all scientific, just an observation: East-coast shooters seem to find drilling the flash holes or a large primer beneficial. West-coast shooters like the SR/factory flash hole size. No idea why.

Jim Hardy has shot a lot of .284 Shehane rounds -- I'd listen to him.

EDIT

I'd have the reamer ground with the freebore length to accommodate all: the 108 Berger (as it is your first choice) the 106 BIB, a 105 VLD (Berger or otherwise, they're all suppose to be a 15-caliber secant ogive), a 107 SMK, and perhaps the Hornady as well. If they won't all work with one freebore lenght, pick the length that will let you use the shortest bullet. Voice of experience.

Were it me, I'd also consider the 98-grain BIB, and the Berger 90 and 95 grain bullets. The gunsmith Leonard Baity set a IBS year-long aggregate record at 1,000 yards with the old Berger 95-grain VLD (the record's since supplanted).

I've found individual barrels to have a bigger "preference" for bullets than for powder. I now get a reamer with a freebore length to accommodate the shortest bullet I'm interested in, and a throating reamer with a half cone angle that matches.

FWIW

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen for your replies. My rest question has been answered by Bill Shehane , after I made this post I gave him a call and got my answer. He sells a bag made especially for the ST1000 tracker stock,which is what I bought 2 of. The bag comes filled for $ 145.00. Got one on the way.

I currently shoot a 6 dasher with a .104 freebore and it loves the Berger 108's thus the reason to want to try them in the 6-6.5x47 . Bill also told me the specks for my reamer for the 284 Shehane which is what I bought months ago and it sits at Sid Goodling's shop awaiting the barrel and action.
Jim , I'm not a fast driver and I know the Shehane is gonna be tougher to tame than the dasher or the 6-6.5x47 , but with time maybe I'll learn to drive it.
The only problem with my dasher is it's a 3 lug bat and it is easy to upset in the bag with it's 60 de. bolt lift.

Again thank you all for the help. John

i use both calibers in f-class ,i use h4350 in the 6x47 lap but am now changing to r17 i am getting over 100fps with same load ie 37.5 grn with 115 grn bergers ,as for the shehane i used h4831sc in the last 2 barrels ,but am now using h4350 in my new barrel,any of these powders produced great accuracy in both cals
Grant

Both of these calibers are what I use for F class. I,m on my 4th 284 barrel and 2nd 6x47 barrel (after 2 rechambers with the 1st one). I use H4350 with both. It is a good burning rate and is a predictable powder, not very temp sensitive, velocities (or point of impact) dont jump up if you wait for a minute or two between shots, then machine gun the rest. It Isnt a dirty powder when pushed at the pressures you will be running in the 6x47 and Shehane. Others trying for a higher velocity node are using H4831sc in both.

For me the powder of choice for my 6x47 L is IMR 4350. I have shot RE17, and Hybrid 100V, and did not like either. I have never tried H4350, but my budies are shooting it. I have heard great reports about IMR 4007 SSC. A lot of people like 4831.

Back