Post '64 Win Model 70

glp

On a trip back North from southern Maine a friend and I stopped at LL Bean. Now most of you know them as the trendy deck shoe and preppy clothing store, but the flagship store in Freeport has a decent gun department. Long guns only, rifles and shotguns. While perusing the racks I noticed a nicely finished rifle standing there with a black forend tip...thats what caught my eye. It turned out to be a 1978 vintage model 70 XTR('78 was the first year those features were added to the M70) in .270 caliber. It was in absolutely amazing condition with only one minor blemish to the almost jets black metal finish and nearly perfect stock finish with no major issues. After a bit of yankee trading I bought it. Once home the bore scopes as nearly perfect with just a hint of frosting just ahead of the chamber at the 6 o'clock. I have pretty much de coppered it with wipe out. The original winchester in house rear sight and front hood are present. My guess is that there was no scope on it...the plug screws are in the action, but no way to really tell. All in all it is the typical smooth as silk bolt movement and feeding(tried it with dummy rounds) and an excellent no creep trigger breaking at between 4 and 5 lbs. I just can't get over the quality of these rifles and how downright cheap they are. Am I the only one that appreciates how Winchester salvaged the model 70 from the early 70s onward after their disastrous switchover in 1963/64?

Last edited:
No, I have also seen several of these Model 70 XTR's and have been impressed. If I found one in a caliber I don't have (doubtful) I would likely buy it. I think I'll go look on Gunbroker now.

I also have a Model 70 Shadow in .300 WSM and it is a very nice rifle (once I scraped the plastic goop off the trigger adjustment and got it down to about 3 pounds). The chamber and bore are decent and it is fairly accurate. The action is smooth too.

I would dearly

love to find one of the same vintage and condition in .225 Win.!!

post 64

My Dad got me a post 64 270 when I was still in high school my first rifle. It had to be early 70s cause I graduated in 74 and it was before that. I shot a lot of stuff with that rifle out west and here in Mo. too. It shot under an inch with some bullets. Got a Redfield 6x on it. I wished Id got one of those big old 3x9s. I don't think mine is an xtr though. Good old rifle. Doug

Doug

My Dad got me a post 64 270 when I was still in high school my first rifle. It had to be early 70s cause I graduated in 74 and it was before that. I shot a lot of stuff with that rifle out west and here in Mo. too. It shot under an inch with some bullets. Got a Redfield 6x on it. I wished Id got one of those big old 3x9s. I don't think mine is an xtr though. Good old rifle. Doug

the XTR features didn't come out in the model 70 until 1978. If you still have it you can date it online, just google Winchester dates of manufacture. The post 64s started with serial number 700,000 and in 1968 I believe, the serial numbers for the Model 70 started with a G prefix per government dictate. Govt dictated a prefix to differentiate model types I think it was. Winchester assigned G to the Model 70 line.--Greg

Last edited:
Back