Pitting on Bolt face

JonathanK

IMG_20101108_221033.jpg

Im pretty sure this is from a primer blow around I had a little while back.
I put some JB bore paste on a q-tip and I was able to get the edges off the little craters.
I was wondering if this would have an impact on accuracy and the best way to fix it, the craters appear to be at least a couple thousandths deep so would truing the bolt face be a good idea?

I don't think that the small pits hurt accuracy at all. Many of the winning rifles have similar pitting. If I were you, I would ignore such minor pitting. James Mock

A few years back when the brand of primers most BR shooters use had problems many of us had bolts etched similarly.

In 1978 we had a lot of trouble with a couple of batches of Federal 205M primers down here, and they would blow out a pin hole just on the shoulder no matter what load was used. There are many scarred bolt faces around from this period. Then, just as we thought it was safe, the same thing happened with a batch or two of CCI BR4's. A couple of years later we had some Rem 7.5's that did the very same thing. In every case it had nothing to do with overloads etc, as many shooters found out.

As far as accuracy with a scarred bolt face was concerned it did not matter - no harm done. It just doesn't look real nice.

Back