Pending IBS HG 600 Record at Oak Ridge

G

Greg Culpepper

Got a brief report from Seigmund just now. Sam smokin' hot Hall ran away with everything in light and heavy. Sam shot a sub 2" agg for light. HOT OFF THE WIRE. Looks like we have a new Heavy Gun single target record. John Lewis shot a 0.380" (actually 0.386") group with his extra funky all metal self-smithed 308 Win. Wrap your heads around that guys! Big congratulations Sam and John! Huuurraaa!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Sigmund and I were pulling that target in the pits and watched it happen. Amazing, John. And yes Sam did smoke us all.

My congratulations Sam and John. I didn't make the shoot today but now I'm not sure if I even belong on the same range with you two. Enjoy your accomplishment.

Pending IBS record

As I remember, the group measured 0.386! Several folks took pictures of the group so look for the image soon. Unforturnately I didn't have my camera with me today.

Congrats to John Lewis for a great group! I'll have all the stats later, but the rifle was a .308, tightnecked, shooting a Lapua 155g in a 14 twist barrel that was chambered 20+ years ago that he bought many years ago off the original owner for $50. John reports that the barrel shoots well with almost any load.

Congrats to Sam for his agg. As I recall it was a 1.9xx.

Believe it or not, the wind was rather tricky, switching often, with the constant threat of rain. I'm glad I was just calling the line and not trying to shoot in it.

Larry Sparks

They say records are made to be broken. I predict (safely I'll bet) that this one has got real legs. Might be quite a while before this one is retired. I knew I'd be sorry I missed todays match. Just didn't know all the reasons.

Greg

(Pictures of .386" Group) & 1.9_ _ Agg

I was shooting beside John thinking that is a wild looking gun. The wind Gods were on his side - that is ABSOLUTELY an awesome target that probably will stand for a good while. Glad to be there to witness this group & to Sam this is the type of shooting that we expect to see from you... You have been on a roll for a long time & very close to these records before - I'm glad it finally came together for you!:D

Mike Davis

Attachments

• S5030043.jpg
    S5030043.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,217
  • S5030045.jpg
    S5030045.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 800
Great shooting John and Sam. People it was bad conditions all day and was raining when John shot his group.

Mark Schronce

Congratulations******! what great shooting.And from what the conditions sound like a fantastic read.
Rudy Manuel

New Record!!!!

Congrats to all! What a great showing of marksmanship and the development of a complete shooting package. I wish I had been there to see this.

Jim Hardy

lesssee, a screamer at 300 yards is anything under .450, right?

Of course, I believe the 600 yard target is smaller than the IBS 300 yard score target, too. Do you think those point-blank guys could play with us?

Congrats to John Lewis for a great group! I'll have all the stats later, but the rifle was a .308, tightnecked, shooting a Lapua 155g in a 14 twist barrel that was chambered 20+ years ago that he bought many years ago off the original owner for $50. John reports that the barrel shoots well with almost any load.

I'm glad I was just calling the line and not trying to shoot in it.

Larry Sparks
Larry, Greg Sigmund, all you Oak Ridge guys and Dave Tooley who did the heavy lifting on putting on this 4 relay match, we shooters really appreciate you.

Now, the story behind John's barrel. No it was not a discard, it was a premium piece of history. Several years ago Jim Carmichel bought a rail gun off Bill Mineman (sp) (owner of MTM who makes the ammo boxes, etc). It came with several barrels, like about 10 or so.

I have a 22 PPC barrel from this gun. Anyhow, the way the railgun was made Bill had a big steel block pressed and glued on each barrel to mount it on the rail top. About 3-4 years ago Jim sold the railgun but kept 3-4 barrels. I helped Jim remove the last two blocked barrels. On the one John shot Saturday the barrel block had to be heated and pressed off with a 30 ton press. Some folks would say that might damage the bore!! If it did, beware, John still has the other barrel that I just had to heat the block to remove it.

John shot this barrel with Bill Minemans original chamber and threads. According to John this 308 Winchester chamber is one of the original designs of the early benchrest 308's.

According to Jeff Summers who shot with Bill in the early years, the barrel is more like 30 years old. Are we not letting our barrels cure enough??

More on the history. Pictured is the block that came off John's record setter. Notice the name, action, frame, etc. To the right is my 22PPC that was in one of these blocks.

27ysbo9.jpg

Entering a new realm of expectation

I was just showing Leandra Mike's picture of John's amazing group. She said, and I quote" Why isn't it in the X ring?". For just a moment I thought I was having coffee with Flash the Cash. Then she smiled. Ah, a woman's expectations and sense of humor. Welcome to my world.

Greg

PS, She's claiming that she was just encouraging me to do better!

Is John's group going to renew the discussion about moving backers at 600?

John,

Could you see your group through your scope? If you could, what were you feeling at the time?

Congrats again,

Greg

what powder..??

One of my shooting buddies here in the hills has a .308 target rifle and it shoots those Lapua bullets "very well" ...also....we have been using 4895...was that the magic brew for him tooo????just curious....Roger
OBTW,,,,,,wowowowo what a group....congrats ....frame that one and hang it over the fireplace..!!!!!!!!

oooooooooooo.....

maby that is the stuff to try ....didnt have that a few yrs ago....these new powders are much better ....more stable ...lot to lot uniformity ..etc....primers.brass ..barrels ....it is a good time to be shooting...thanks for the info.....Roger

Back