Old eyes?

B

bdotson

It seems to me that after I shoot a few times by the 4th or 5th the target starts to blur real bad. Any one else have this problem? I try and shoot both with glasses and with out dont see any diffrence. I think my eyes get tired? Any answers?thanks Buddy

Old Eyes

Have been having the same problem last year or so.

A new Optometrist found the problem _ cataracts (sp?).

Bill Scheider

I always tell myself that the center of the blur is still the center. Be glad you have 3 or 4 clear targets! For some of us older folk, all the targets are blurry.

Seriously, see if an eye doctor can help. Secondly, shooting faster can help a bit. Even young eyes can focus only so long.

Old Eyes

we have a bloke in our club who was experiencing the same problem. Turned out he was holding his breath when he shot and if he waited for a condition to change then his eye sight blurred because of lack of oxygen. So don't forget to breath.
Pete

I've found that as I get older, a bit of polarisation helps by clearing up the stray light that causes glare flare, leaving me to get on with making the most of the sight picture. The down side is that it makes it somewhat more difficult to see mirage.

I think scope power is a player also. As I increase scope power (now at 42x) I see more blur? Does this make any sence to anyone?

If you wear glasses always aim through the exact same portion of the lens each time.
I've seen it recommended that one establish the best angle and area of lens of your shooting glasses then mark the lens permanently with a circle cut with a diamond tip scribe.
Others suggest cutting a template to allow a temporary marker using a circle cut from adhesive tape.
One shooter recently recommended that a pair of clip on sun glasses lenes with a hole drilled in the right spot would do the job. The suggestion sounds logical. These sorts of clip ons come in a variety of styles and some are pretty cheap. The fold up type would probably work best. The lens for the non shooting eye could be removed.

Even if you don't wear prescription lenses the protective lens of regular shooting glasses would also have a slight distorting effect near the edges, so centering your view in the same spot each shot would make your aim more consistent.

Old Eyes

Bill,
I hope you have the same results with cataract surgery that I had.
I had both eyes done a few years back and all that I can say is it was the best move I had made in years,you will not believe the difference.
Have you talked to Jim Wooten about the surgery ?
Lots of luck.
Nick Loy

This might help

Just read an article yesterday on what one might try to seeing better. It is called "Bullseye Pro Optical Booster". For more info call, 888 528 9697. Or check out their web site. Can't remember where I ran across it, but they did have a video for one to watch and give an explanation on their product. Good luck.

Gentlemen ...

I believe the scope's Exit Pupil is the culprit of eye strain. Given objectives (front lens elements) of equal size, the more magnification the scope, the smaller the Exit Pupil. The smaller the Exit Pupil the greater the stain. The greater the stain the faster the eye becomes tired and the more out of focus it becomes. I always notice this slight bleariness on the drive home. It takes my 65 year old eyes about four hours to recover. Remember that the Exit Pupil, a tiny circle of light, must deliver ALL the optical data your eye receives. Bigger is better by far. :)

My answer

It seems to me that after I shoot a few times by the 4th or 5th the target starts to blur real bad. Any one else have this problem? I try and shoot both with glasses and with out dont see any diffrence. I think my eyes get tired? Any answers?thanks Buddy

Don't start drinkin so early.

Dave

Optical booster

Just read an article yesterday on what one might try to seeing better. It is called "Bullseye Pro Optical Booster". For more info call, 888 528 9697. Or check out their web site. Can't remember where I ran across it, but they did have a video for one to watch and give an explanation on their product. Good luck.
---------------------------------------------
I have these on two of my scopes and I like them. However, I have heard
that some people don't care for them. I am 75 and I have to have a dot
in the center to look at because the fine cross hairs tend to fade away on
me.:D But, as long as I can still get out to the range I am not going to
complain.

I have the same problem with my 74 year old eyes. But no cataracts. Just a lot of floaters. I found that it helps a lot if you blink a lot. And if a floater comes by, I turn my head and shake it a bit. Then quickly look back thru the scope. You have about 5-10 seconds before the floater comes back by. Learned the blinking from my eye doc.

Donald

Found an article on the Davis optical booster
http://www.mysearch.com/search/redi...J4LYqnoIFdl8cvHlPUM5C/Zxh6h5Xw4qmb/Zbmd&ct=AR
about 3/4th the way down the page.

Its simply a lens that screws into the eye piece raising the maginification by a factor of 2 or 3, a 12 power scope with a 3X booster becomes a 36X scope.
Good idea, but $100 for a simple add on lens seems a bit steep.

Its simply a lens that screws into the eye piece raising the maginification by a factor of 2 or 3, a 12 power scope with a 3X booster becomes a 36X scope.
I think you'll find the devices multiply by a percentage. The #2 by 20%, the #3 by 30% & the #4 that I have on a Leupold VXIII, by 40%, up from 24 (nominally 25) to a tad over 33.

They don't offer any advantage in discrimination other than what you might get from a higher power, but there are tradeoffs:

• Depending on your individual eyesight, a scope may not have enough adjustment at the eyepiece to refocus the crosshairs with the chosen lens. Discuss your situation before you buy. I found them to be more than helpful.
  • Some scopes don't have enough light gathering capacity to handle the boost & in any case, any such boosted scope shouldn't be expected to be as clear as a purpose made scope of the higher magnification.

Here is something I saved from our neighbors at 6mmBR.com.

TARGET SCOPES

Exit Pupil: Given objectives (front lens elements) of equal size, the more magnification the scope, the smaller the exit pupil.

Too small an exit pupil will make a good scope dim and hard to use.

That's why we advise against boosting the Weaver T-36 or the 36X Sightron.

With their respective 40mm and 42mm objectives, the exit pupil becomes too small when they are boosted beyond 36x. :)

Hey

Dave, (aka..." FogHorn Leghorn")
Clearly a case of... "Don't Do as I Do..Do as I Say"...
What a short memory you have?
Mind your own damn business next time...! ;)
Jack

Cut the pot stirring and instigating Neary)chill( This is serious business.:eek:

Later
Dave

Back