Not quite a BR rig.

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
It doesn't quite fit in the Factory/Hybrid section, so I plopped it in here. :eek:

This is a new 'dog gun I'm just finishing for myself. Panda R/R, pillar bedded, Kelbly HBR stock, Kreiger .20 cal. twisted 1:11, chambered in 20 Practical by 'Humble' Henry Rivers. For load work, it will have a trusted older BR scope on it. The BIB 40 gr. boat tails are BR accurate and that's what load work will start with.

I want to thank Randy Robinett and Henry for their help on this project. :)

Good shootin'. -Al

uLw6bzWh.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't quite fit in the Factory/Hybrid section, so I plopped it in here. :eek:

This is a new 'dog gun I'm just finishing for myself. Panda R/R, pillar bedded, Kelbly HBR stock, Kreiger .20 cal. twisted 1:11, chambered in 20 Practical by 'Humble' Henry Rivers. For load work, it will have a trusted older BR scope on it. The BIB 40 gr. boat tails are BR accurate and that's what load work will start with.

I want to thank Randy Robinett and Henry for their help on this project. :)

Good shootin'. -Al

uLw6bzWh.jpg

Al, you know that you picked great guys to work with you on your project.
A nice dog gun!

Hey Al...........

That's too pretty to be taken afield!

The pd's ought to be proud, to be thinned-out with such a nice rifle....................................................especially, one without a scope!!!:cool:

Kevin

P.S. I put a Leupy on my 20 caliber......:p
j0yyxf.jpg

Al

You opted not for the most astounding cartridge to come along since John Browning was in diapers...the 6.5x47 Creedmoor? My God man, you still sippin' black juice? The gun print can't be wrong, can they? :confused: Regardless, awesome looking rig.

Last edited:
You opted not for the most astounding cartridge to come along since John Browning was in diapers...the 6.5x47 Creedmoor? My God man, you still sippin' black juice? The gun print can't be wrong, can they? :confused: Regardless, awesome looking rig.

Hey Greg....R.G. and I were talking the other day about how there's not really much 'new' under the sun in cartridge design. ;) A member of the range I belong to just bought a .338 Ultra Mag for elk hunting....hates to shoot it because of the recoil. I told him the elk must be a lot tougher today...how else could so many have been killed by the lowly 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, etc. ;)

Al

Hey Greg....R.G. and I were talking the other day about how there's not really much 'new' under the sun in cartridge design. ;) A member of the range I belong to just bought a .338 Ultra Mag for elk hunting....hates to shoot it because of the recoil. I told him the elk must be a lot tougher today...how else could so many have been killed by the lowly 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, etc. ;)

perhaps he's planning on shots no closer than 600-1000 yards...ugh! Me and the wife have shot 3 moose here in Maine, all with .308 Win and 30-06( the first one had a friend helping with his 1886 Win .33 takedown). Really need nothing more, but each to his own. However one must be able to place shots and not worry about getting the bridge of their nose hacked up ;). Let us know how the 20 shoots. --Greg

Now that racing season is over, I had some time to devote to the .20 Practical.

Even though the .20 Practical is simply a necked down .223, it took a bit more work to get the cases in shape for f-forming. Faced off a shell holder .005 and pushed the shoulder back with a .223 neck die to form a false shoulder, then used a .230 bushing adjusted to come right to the top of the false shoulder with a floating carbide .20 cal expander ball to get the neck i.d.'s round.

After f-forming and sized with a .228 bushing (no expander ball), the accuracy came right around. This was the best group yesterday in some switchy tail winds. Nothing went over .250 with a variety of powders.

Thanks again to 'Humble' Henry Rivers for the barrel work and to Randy Robinett for some great shooting little 40 gr. boat tails. :)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

JyGDbHXl.jpg

1KS6pEy.jpg

Nice looking rig. I have friends that shoot that caliber, and they really like it. What is the contour and length of the barrel?

Nice rig.
Did I read right those slugs have a BC of .270 ? I have to try some in the TAC’s.
By the way,for hunting, try R10X. I have found it to be about as accurate as N133, same velocity, and cheaper for hunting.

Back