Noodles and J&J Slides

Gjmen22

Who has experience with Noodles and the J&J Slide? Have your experiences been positive, or not so much? Did you have one on your rifle for a while, then took it off? Or did it go on and never come off? Or maybe it has worked on some rifles, but not all. Or have you found just as good of results by adding just weight to your tuner, Please share your experience. A curious mind would like to know.

Thank you,
Gjmen22

Yes, I did.
I did use, and most say with mix success, the J&J.
It's a nice piece of gear, and apart from putting more weight at the crown area, it could be thought having a couple more benefits. Saying, protecting the bullet from the wind at the very beginning flight path, and, to a certain degree, letting gases to escape and not disturbing the bullet. That's my understanding, others could have different views.
The tuning process is different, and you should start the tuner all way down and proceed from there. Never saw a big difference from covering and uncovering the holes with the colar.
French school swear for them, and all builds come with it, or a variation of it. Carbon, aluminum, you name it.

I start use it in despair, at that time, ammo here was very difficult to find, and the available one, from RWS, refused to fit my rifle. If I remember well tried more than 40 lots and all were terrible. So I tried everything, and J&J solved the issue.
I learn to use it, and it was fun enough to see the warming bullets slowly raising on target until they hit the center and stay there. But, and big but, you have to continue shooting, because if not, they dropped again. So, waiting for conditions, shooting continuously was needed on sighters. It proved to be a very expensive piece, normally shot 2 boxes per card to keep things together, but I won the Worlds with it and RWS ammo.
Then, Lapua and Eley come promptly available here, and figure what, never could shot well wit J&J. So it has been dropped for good.

Who has experience with Noodles and the J&J Slide? Have your experiences been positive, or not so much? Did you have one on your rifle for a while, then took it off? Or did it go on and never come off? Or maybe it has worked on some rifles, but not all. Or have you found just as good of results by adding just weight to your tuner, Please share your experience. A curious mind would like to know.

Thank you,
Gjmen22

I've tried the noodles, tubes, weights and mid barrel tuners.

I found many tunes that seemed to work. But could never prove they were better than a bare barrel with a standard tuner.

I've tried making my own tuners without the springs, ball bearings and o rings. For a while I thought I was on to something.

In the end, I've been beaten with noodles, and without noodles, with and without mid barrel tuners.

I found all these things added another dimension to my tuning process. One that detracted from my concentrating on my shooting.

At this late stage in my shooting career, I've decided to go with the simplest set up.

One thing for sure I've had a great amount of fun trying these things.

TKH (4628)

Tony you bring up a very interesting point and…a question.
Now you are a very experienced shooter and tend to try things with a discipline and a long term baseline from which valid comparisons can be made.
What might your opinion be about new guys, without those advantages that lean toward hanging lots of this stuff on their barrels right out of the box?

Tony you bring up a very interesting point and…a question.
Now you are a very experienced shooter and tend to try things with a discipline and a long term baseline from which valid comparisons can be made.
What might your opinion be about new guys, without those advantages that lean toward hanging lots of this stuff on their barrels right out of the box?

Tim,

I have always had two programs running parallel. One is R&D the other is shooting objectives. Looking back on it now I think I made it much harder on myself than I needed.

There is a saying "beware of the one gun man". Meaning if he only has one gun he probably knows it well and has learned to use it.

My search for the next better thing has meant I rarely shot a season with the same package. Always changing something, hoping to find something better.

I look back now and feel the Shilen octagon barrel cost me nearly two seasons of shooting success.

They were hot when they came out, some guys were putting up big numbers with them. I even put up big numbers from time to time.

But in the end they just didn't work over the long haul as well as ratchets. At least for me. Another thing is they shoot a little different. There is a learning curve to them.

One would think I would have learned by this experience, but no, when the Muller MIs came available I was all over them. Again they shoot a little different from ratchets.

Matches are won with both barrels, and I certainly like both barrels, but from a common sense approach I would have been better off to just stay with what I already had and knew.

Barrels is only one thing. I did the same with actions, chambers, crowns, firing pin shapes, scopes, stocks, bedding techniques, tuners, triggers, etc .etc.

There is a famous drag racer named John Force. He once said: racing for me is much harder than it is for young hired guns".

Meaning a hired driver has one task to worry about, driving the car. But John, the team owner has many things to worry about. Driving the car is only one of them.

Same can be said for a guy building his own rifle(s). He may have many things on his mind about the rifle and its components and how they are working together.

Shooting the target is only one of them.

I spent a lot of money and time, and lost matches I should have won by all the changes.

My advice to one wanting to win is learn your equipment well. Don't be too quick to change things.

If you are just having fun, try it all, it has been fun for me.

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
I learned one of the hardest thing is knowing when you outshoot your gear. Only then, you have to change things. Right, for the person who only shoots.
But, for the others like you, trying, is a big part of the game.
The one thing I would like to have your insight, is, generally, the first trying always seems better than the followers, like "a new thing first try is always good..." devil is afterwards"...

I learned one of the hardest thing is knowing when you outshoot your gear. Only then, you have to change things. Right, for the person who only shoots.
But, for the others like you, trying, is a big part of the game.
The one thing I would like to have your insight, is, generally, the first trying always seems better than the followers, like "a new thing first try is always good..." devil is afterwards"...

Pedro,

You are so right. Every time you try something new you can convince yourself it is much better than what you had before.

Barrels are the worst. Every new barrel just kills it when you first put it on. It doesn't show it's true colors until you take it to a match.

With competition being what it is you have lost before you know that barrel just isn't working.

Most barrels will come around after enough shooting and tuning, but in my experience absolute killers are rare.

It is often said that it is "barrels and bullets". But I think Ivan Wells had it right when he said it is the "whole package".

TKH (4628)

Tony, complete agreement.
Somewhat like yourself, I have always had a #1 comp gun and a #2 kind of development platform trying stuff, often barrels. Both with sporters and heavy guns.
Over time #2 gets sold, every once in a while moves to #1 and the process begins anew.
More expensive, but keeps you on your toes.

Tube\slide

Something we have found is the tubes\ slide simulate more weight that what it actually is. If your trying to swap between tube and added weight, your added weight will have to be considerably heavier than tube weight.
Todd

2 programs running parallel

Thanks for the insight gentlemen. But what really got me thinking was..."I have always had two programs running parallel. One is R&D the other is shooting objectives" this is obviously a different topic, but really got some gears turning in my noggin.

Gjmen22

One of the three of our rifles has something experimental almost every time we go to a match. We try to swap it up match to match who gets the experimental parts.
Todd

Thanks for the insight gentlemen. But what really got me thinking was..."I have always had two programs running parallel. One is R&D the other is shooting objectives" this is obviously a different topic, but really got some gears turning in my noggin.

Gjmen22

It is a great approach, more time consuming and a fair bit more expensive in sport getting pricier all the time unfortunately.

It is a great approach, more time consuming and a fair bit more expensive in sport getting pricier all the time unfortunately.

Unfortunately everything is getting more expensive. But sitting at home watching TV is boring.

beef.jpg

Back