No Cost Ideas

S

smoke

It might be interesting to see how many no cost/low cost ideas forum members could come up with that might be helpful to shooters, both new and experienced. For starters, I'll throw one out - During a match, when you are not shooting,take time to closely observe one of the better shooters; check out bench set up, flag placement, shooting technique, what condition(s) he shoots etc. A spotting scope behind the firing line will help. As Yogi Berra would say "You can observe a lot by just watching".

Along with Smoke's thoughts I will throw out another Make Friends with the Shooter before the match. Not a ton of questions just show interest.
Then after the match you watched (A good shooter will have noticed you watching!) ask some inteligent questions on what you thought you saw.

visualize a perfect shot, trigger pull, and perfect follow through. that as well as some dry firing are VERY good for the mental part of the game.

Ok..low cost.......

Cut up old undershirts [wife-beaters] :D into 3" squares to use as tuner/bloop tube cleaning patches.
Colt.45

Smoke, I just can't do it

Life's too short to drink Cheap Whiskey, after a day at the range!!!

Before this deteriorates into a discussion of low cost whiskey(my preferance), let's get back to lo-cost IDEAS about shooting. Most of us have seen a shooter sitting at the bench looking more like he was preparing for an off side dismount from a 2 humped camel than getting ready to shoot a match -- the point being that most of the good shooters always seem to be in a comfortable, relaxed and upright shooting position - one without any kind of unusual strain or stress. Sounds easy but have someone critique what you do - might find room for improvement. (W/O cost)

Low cost is a question...maybe because I'm poor. Look through a spotting scope and watch bullet impacts from a top shooter. But before that, or at the same time if you're able look at their windflags. See the conditions they are shooting. Never, ever go to a match that there are two relays and not do this. Otherwise shoot what you have as far as equipment and have fun and maybe learn a little of the trigger pulling stuff. That can be very low cost if you have some equipment already like any .22 RF rifle.

Carp

This has been posted before, I have done it too. Just put your flags out in the yard where they can be seen from a window. Watch what they do. Move them around, put near trees, buildings or even your car. This will give you some idea as to what the wind can do around various obstacles. All ranges will have some sort of obstacle, even if it's only the pole barn you're sitting under.

Ken

This has been posted before, I have done it too. Just put your flags out in the yard where they can be seen from a window. Watch what they do. Move them around, put near trees, buildings or even your car. This will give you some idea as to what the wind can do around various obstacles. All ranges will have some sort of obstacle, even if it's only the pole barn you're sitting under.

Ken

Do any of the folks next door watch while your doing this? Hey Martha come to the window, he's out there again.:D

Do any of the folks next door watch while your doing this? Hey Martha come to the window, he's out there again.:D

Naw, they just think the flags are those fancy mole chasers.:D

Once again this thread has morphed into trivia. To "tango Two" - thanks for the input, I had not realized it had appeared before - must have missed it sandwiched betwen "moving the parellel node" and "water in the bore". Facinating right? Anyway, one more lo-cost suggestion- (this one would apply to many of us). When we go to the range for a practice session it should be with a specific goal in mind - not just "range time". Then, and the main point, while there practice as if it were a match - put out all flags - start your clock- shoot only when you would if it were a match. Most of us tend to shoot in marginal conditions during practice which means that we are actually practising bad habits and will be inclined to do the same later during an actual competition. Don't practice a bad habit!!

Perhaps not in the original context

The 'no cost' thing got my attention...

For those that travel, the motel chains have some pretty good promotions now and then. You would be crazy not to take advantage and it only requires about ten minutes to fill out the form (enlist in their program) to get started. As an example, Choice Hotels just had a promotion where you stayed 3 times and got a $50 gas card or traded the points for plane tickets, free nights, etc..

Thing is, you have to play the game hard. A "stay" is considered any number of consecutive nights in the same motel. If you check out of a Comfort Inn and go across the street to a Sleep Inn for the next night that counts as 2 "stays". Inconvenient, but the points make it worthwhile. So far this year, I've traded points for four roundtrip plane tickets to anywhere Southwest flies and have enough points left for 2 free nights.

Some inexperienced shooters go to the range without flags, then shoot when one of the better shooters fires. The big problem there is that the wind conditions aren't always the same at their positions as they may be at the other shooter's position. They also don't know where the other shooter is aiming on his/her target.

Our range is only about 90 feet wide and surrounded on three sides by berms and trees. Wind flags can be completely opposite in only two benches. I often hold off for particular conditions and may be holding at 10 o'clock, just outside the ten ring with a certain left breeze, then when the wind slows considerably, and the sun comes out...at 6 o'clock on the ten. Conditions like those happen often at our range and those who try to shoot when I do, instead of when and where they should, based on their own flags and observations, may lose several points and may not learn much about this game.

Picher

Picher,

Don't shoot when I shoot! Sometimes I will see a change and shoot a sighter just to see how many INCHES my bullet will move.;)

Ken

Picher,

Don't shoot when I shoot! Sometimes I will see a change and shoot a sighter just to see how many INCHES my bullet will move.;)

Ken

Yeah, I especially hate it when my hold-off is in FEET! :mad:

JP

save a buck

I have 3 things that are free or close to it.

1.) Get a bag with a zipper I used a back support and took out the foam but you could use a heavy zip lock and fill it with beans or rice or any other dried item you have on your shelve, it works great for a arm or elbow rest.

2.) Go to the tractor supply store and they have super strong rectangular buckets that new chain comes when there empty they throw them away and they will give them to you, they make great range boxes that you can also sit on to shoot. I just cut a step into one with a sawsall and put a padded seat on, a hook and eye and it locks up tight

3.) If you get carbon baked in your barrel and have a tough time getting out try soap and water and a stiff brush the junk comes out.

Thanks, nick

Bag Sand

Found a bag sand that really packs well without be too hard.

"Black Beauty" blasting grit (fine grade) works great in front bags and the ears of rear bags. It's not heavy, so fill the rear bag body with heavy sand.

This material is crushed coal slag. The sharp edged particles interlock much better than silica sand.
The best part is the cost of $8 for a 50# bag.
Available at your friendly Tractor Supply.

...Dave

Back