nightforce recticle ---HELP ME CHOOSE

btc624

I am currently torn in my decision on what recticle to get. this has been eating at me since January and I've yet to decide. Here's my dilema. I mainly plan on shooting at paper out to a max of 500yds (my range) but maybe 600 f-class some day. I also wouldnt mind this for shooting the occasional groundhog or steel at those same distances. I know i want the nxs model and leaning towards the np-r1 or the ch-3. If I decide on the ch-3 I believe I would get that in the 8-32 power and hope I wont run out of adjustment but at those ranges i doubt it correct??? As for the np-r1 I like the 1moa lines on the elevation and 2 moa on windage as opposed to the np-r2 (5 moa on the windage seems useless to me) I guess one more thing to add is that I will not use this scope for ranging as I will use a rangfinder or i'll be shooting at know distances so any advice will be greatly appreciated, I'm new to this and just dont want to make an $1800 mistake :confused: Heres the rifle I got to put it on.
MVC-001S.jpg

I believe in the simplest reticule that is heavy enough to be seen under all conditions that you'll shoot. I don't believe in using hash marks to aim off or aim up. Sooner or later you'll use one on the wrong side & really screw up. Learn to lay your aim off on the target or field topography.

While I haven't used it, I would be concerned that the ch3 might be a tad fine. I suggest that you have a real good look at the various reticules thru the scope of your choice before making up your mind. You might end uop choosing a reticule with hash marks on it anyway, but them's the breaks.

8-32 is about the perfect power range & travel for what you propose to shoot IMHO.

John

The CH-3 is a very fine DOT, I used one in F-Class on a 12-42 BR and went back to the 1/8 dot.

It's not an $1800 mistake, it's only about $175 to have the reticle changed by Nightforce, if that makes you feel any better.

I started using CH-2 reticle in my Benchrest Model 12-42 x 56 for F-Class at 600 yds. After one season I had to change because the dot was too hard to see on the target. Nightforce changed it to NP-R1 for $175 and it works much better for me now.

--Dave MacD

I prefer the NP-R1, but my background is military so the "clutter" does not bother me.

Jeffvn

I have just been through the same decision making and purchased for 6-32x56 Benchrest with the NP-2DD and couldn't be happier. .125 moa dot at 22x and 2moa between the dot and start of the cross hair. I seem to naturally center with the dot with this reticle. Something my older eyes don't do as well with the R1 and R2, especially with mirage. It is also a superb reticle for hunting and spotlighting.

nightforce

I have a 12-42x56 BR with a NP-R2 reticle shooting 1000yd. with a standard base it will not have the number of MOA to use the center of the reticle so I changed to a 20MOA base to get on target now at 200yds I have to count up to the third hash mark. Just in case you change Your mind about what scope to get also the graduations on the barrel for parallax adjustment are way off. Don't think you can go wrong with the 8-32x56NXS with a NP-R1

NP2DD is my favorite. Nightforce charges $250 to change the reticle so get what you want up front.

I have a couple scopes w/ the NP-R1 reticle, which works well enough for its purpose (UKD / tactical / practical shooting). I started w/ a 2DD on my F-Class scopes, then thought 'aim small miss small' meant the CH-3 would be even better. Got one scope with that in it, shot it *only on targets with a white background* and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Sent in one of my other scopes to get changed to it (back when NF was charging $150-175 for reticle changeouts). Then I got to spend a lot of time last year cursing that decision, as I found that I couldn't *see* the blasted thing against a black High Power target center worth a darn under the best of conditions, much less on a dark or over cast day. It would just fade out into the target black.

Other people love 'em, so it's somewhat of a personal choice/tolerance issue. Me, I got to spend $210-250 (current prices) apiece to have *two* scopes changed back to a 2DD reticle.

Your money, your choice.

Well, started out with the NP 1RR recticule years back, got used to it and don't like anything else now. Go figure. I'll hold off for elevation if the wind is up and really switching fast, don't have to release my hold on the rifle to adjust anything.

Haven't lost the recticule against a target, even in matches that have run well into the evening, that little "illuminated recticule" thingy helped a lot. ;)

Back