New Savage 22-250

J

jaybic

Well,

I just picked up my first Savage centerfire rifle. Its a moded 16 in 22-250 with the new Accustock and Accutrigger in it. I am normally a Remington guy but I had to see what all the fuss is about. Its my new coyote calling rifle.

Using a Stony point tool and comparator and a 50 grain Vmax, it measures 2.063 to just touch the rifling. Where would any of you guys start seating bullets? Touching and work away from the rifling? Suggestions?

It has a 1:12 twist in a 22in bbl and I hope to get the 50s going fast as accuracy allows using either Varget or H4895 unless anyone has another "GO TO 22-250 load combo. Brand new Win cases and BR 2s.

What say ye, Oh Holders of Great Wisdom?:)

Seriously tho, any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Jamie

IMR 4320 and H380........As well..........
Yes, seated to the lands then back up to a jump... Should tight'n up.
Be patient, these factory button rifled barrels are pretty rough and a good 100 rounds or so should help it "break in"..

good luck,
cale

Wow,

Your not kiddin' about that rough factory tube thing. I just ran 5 or so patches soaked with Butch's down it to remove any packing lube/cosmoline type stuff and I could feel it kinda jerk...jerk..smooth..ect..ect. Guess I dont remember my 500.00 Krieger tube for my .308 being like that:D.

Anyway, I will do the clean/shoot/clean/shoot thing for about 20 or so rounds mixed in with a little load testing, then its off to the dog town in North Dakota over memorial day weekend so that should help smooth it out some I hope.

Jamie

When I had a .22-250 I used 50 gr bullets with RL-15 and got good accuracy and velocity.

The advantage of the .22-250 is that you can easily turn it into a .22 BR without even having to change the bolt head. :D

H380, 37.0-38.0 grs, 5ogr ballistic tip, mine like a little jump, one likes 0.031 another likes 0.060 another one I load for likes 0.035, usually a easy round to tune,,,,,,,,,, if ya go after whitetail varmints try 55gr Sierra GameKings, when you clean one you'll think you shot it with a 338WM from the damage,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

H380 was best in my 22=250 for 50 and 55 gr.bullets I got best accuracy with the 55vmax. Once you find best seating depth using 38grs for a start, then step up the charge until groups open or until you reach maximum charge as determined by Hodgdon manual. Cecil Hodgdon got one hole group with 38grs of this un-named powder behind a 52 gr. pill, so he named it H380.

I run Varget with 50gr V-Max to duplicate Hornady factory loads.

I ran a grain or two below max from Hogdon site and got 3913fps on the chrony. I used Nosler brass and CCI primers. This was with a Rem 700 VLS.

You might not have to go that high in pressure/velocity for best accuracy.

IMR 748 always worked well in my ol 788 Rem. esp. with the 52s

I would not recommend any .224 varmint rifle for deer hunting, and I believe it is highly irresponsible to do so.

55 gr Sierra HP and a good dose of H380. I have taken my share of white tails with this load out to 250 yards. If you hit them in the neck are behind the ear a 22-250 is all you need.

22-250

35.5 bench,mark. 50 baltip good for .5 in all the remngtons i have tried it in. 3891 fps

Hello again all,

Just got back from Minnesota fishing opener. My god, 1/2 hour old Walleye fillets cooked over wood is tasty!

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas. I have loaded 5 rounds each of H4895, Varget, 760, RL15 and H414. All are using a CCI br primer, brand new but resized, trimmed, flash hole deburred...ect..ect Winchester cases with a 50gr Vmax at .10 off the rifling for a starting point. I am going to shoot a slow 5 shot group with each, pick the best one and fine tune from there.

I also loaded up 20 rounds of 760 with a 50gr Vmax for a seating depth test.
5 rounds touching, 5 @.10 off.........5 @ .20 off.....5@ .30 off.....5 @ .40 off and 5 @ .50 off and do a seating depth test of sorts.

I was going to try 4064 but I was told that it can be quite temp sensitive and velocities could be all over. I shoot in the summer time quite a bit but ultimately I am looking for a Minnesota/North Dakota cold weather type load.

I also do not hunt deer with a rifle at all because we cannot use them down here in SE MN. I also would not use one if I could as I, in agreement with Pete, believe it is too small for deer. I do not wish to offend and this is just my own position.

Thanks again guys.

Jamie

22-250

I started shooting my 22-250 with 4895, because it looked like it had the best velocity. Then someone suggested 4064, and my groups got a bit smaller. Then someone suggested Varget, and my groups got even smaller. I'm not going to say Varget isn't TEMP---eramental but is by far less than the others I've tried.

Varget ~36 gr
Berger 52 gr
Twist 1 in 12

Best of luck,
Nick

Now this is what I was hoping for(at least for starters):)!

I went out yesterday and shot the new Savage 16 Weather warrior with the new Accustock and it compares in no way to my Abolt. BTW, they also look much nicer since the barrel nut is smooth now and the bolt release is all different(not sure about this because you have to pull the trigger and pull this lever in front of the trigger guard at the same time...kinda awkward).

I shot 5 different powders(H4895/varget/h414/760 and rl15 with all the same bullet, primer and brass and every single group hovered around 1 inch. Varget(all shots were touching) and H414 were the best at about .75 inch group and H4895 was worst at just over 1 inch. No odd clusters of bullets and then 2 shots two inches away, no wierd flyers that make you go "how did I miss that bad?". NO(bad) SURPRISES at all. All groups were pretty much round in shape.

So far I am quite pleased and I think once the barrel is broke in and I have some time into fine tuning, I will be able to get it to shoot around that .5 to .75in mark and that will suit me just fine for a walking coyote rifle. At least its not intermittently jumping from 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch groups like the Abolt like to do.

I am a Rem guy quite pleased with his first Savage centerfire.

God almighty, did I say that out loud?

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Rem guy quite pleased with his first Savage centerfire.

Jamie, it's OK.................... I got a safe full of both......... Accuracy matters.

It's about accuracy...!

Have fun..!

cale

Back