New Rem 30

Pete Wass

Can some please direct me to a print on the new Remington 30 Cal made on a shortened up 284 case please?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Thank You for this.

As some may know, I have been campaigning a short 30-284 for several years. I have used Winchester brass all of this time without any problems at all. I won a half price reamer cirtificate last year at the Nats. I planned to have the chambering I have duplicated to some degree but, I have a nine step process to make my brass. My thinking was to jump on this chambering to eliminate a few steps.

I think the data on the velocities is that which is normal for autoloaders. they don't like HOT ammo, which I found out with my .280- 742 Rem.

I have been shooting 110 to 125 bullets in mine @ around 3000 without pressure and with great accuracy. It's favorite powder has been 4197 Brigadeer. I shot about 20 lbs of it during those years. 4198 works as does Re-7 and I'm sure N-130. It's a great round! Turning the rim is a minor inconvenience :)

Confused

Pete,

This artical has the RIM at .473 which is wrong - its .492 won't fit 308 bolt face and must be turned down.

Also it list it as having a large primer which is also wrong - it hase a small primer.

Jerry :eek::D

What's with the 0.019" rim difference, when I look at .284 Win drawings I'm seeing a rebated .473 rim; is that incorrect? What is the source of brass for a small primer pocket on .284 Win case? nhk

Pete - I have chambered up the 30 RAR with the sholder angle set to 35 degrees. I did this to get the 45 gn of water to be able to use it in Hunter Class Score.

I did buy the Rem Ammo to get the cases and since the case needs to be fire formed I just used the Powder and bullets to do this - no waste -

I have been using 8208 XBR, 125gn burgers, and it is giving a 3000 fps with no pressure and like you said it is very accurate.

Jerry :)

I don't understand why Remington increased the rim diameter, supposedly to prevent firing in a .450 Bushmaster chamber. The smaller .30 RAR would not be able to build up enough pressure to do anything other than release the bullet.

Thanks for the report Jerry.

Pete - I have chambered up the 30 RAR with the sholder angle set to 35 degrees. I did this to get the 45 gn of water to be able to use it in Hunter Class Score.

I did buy the Rem Ammo to get the cases and since the case needs to be fire formed I just used the Powder and bullets to do this - no waste -

I have been using 8208 XBR, 125gn burgers, and it is giving a 3000 fps with no pressure and like you said it is very accurate.

Jerry :)

I wondered if the "stock" case was big enough to be used in HBR. What about dies? Who did your reamer? Any chance you could email me a copy of the print? Do you find the quality of the Rem brass to be ok?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Last edited:
I wondered if the "stock" case was big enough to be used in HBR. What about dies? Who did your reamer? Any chance you could email me a copy of the print? Do you find the quality of the Rem brass to be ok?

Thanks,

Pete Wass

Pete yes I can send you the print when I get home - out seeing the Kids this week. As far as dies I just made up a Wilson type bullet seat-er with a Newlon neck die. The reamer is by PTG. The Rem brass so far cleaned up with just a skim cut on the neck. I am just now starting to weigh them - not bad so far ... etc

Jerry

It's probably too late now but that "new" cartridge is my old 300x25 wildcat from 15 years ago. Same shoulder angle, same length, same everything.

I still have some brass but the barrel is long ago shot out.

And yes, it was big enough for HBR. That's what I made it for. There were others very similar. The 30 Myer, 30 Fat Albert, for example.

Do you suppose I can sue Remington for royalties??:rolleyes:

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete yes I can send you the print when I get home - out seeing the Kids this week. As far as dies I just made up a Wilson type bullet seat-er with a Newlon neck die. The reamer is by PTG. The Rem brass so far cleaned up with just a skim cut on the neck. I am just now starting to weigh them - not bad so far ... etc

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Appreciate it.

Pete

Back