New Berger 118gr .308????

tiny68

I seam to remember some testing done by a few on this forum with a prototype 118gr Berger 30 cal bullet last year. I remember seeing/hearing positive results. What is the status of this bullet? Did Berger decide to proceed with it or drop it?

Eric or any of you other Berger guys want to commit?

Tiny

I heard they made some 115's for guys who like their very popular 110's perhaps there was a 118 also but I don;t recall it.

118s Berger bullets

Tiny.. I did some testing for the 118's from Eric and found them to be
TRASH, I talked with Berger about them ,along with others and the result
was a 115 gr fb match that does great. We could not get groups that would compete, with the 118s for some reason. Hope this helps....

I seam to remember some testing done by a few on this forum with a prototype 118gr Berger 30 cal bullet last year. I remember seeing/hearing positive results. What is the status of this bullet? Did Berger decide to proceed with it or drop it?

Eric or any of you other Berger guys want to commit?

Tiny

I tested a 100 of the 115"s and they shot great.

I'll betcha - -

Tiny.. I did some testing for the 118's from Eric and found them to be
TRASH, I talked with Berger about them ,along with others and the result
was a 115 gr fb match that does great. We could not get groups that would compete, with the 118s for some reason. Hope this helps....

The ogive length varied on them. I have found that to be the major reason bullets don't shoot well. If one segregates them, they will all work. There is no magic to bullets.

It will be very interesting when someone finally is able to identify what in the process of making bullets allows some lots to be very consistend while others are very incossistent.

Last edited:
I am the guy that originally asked Eric to make a 118gr bullet on the 110gr jacket. It has been about 2 years since I asked for it. He made a few and decided that it was best to reduce the weight to 115gr. He sent several people samples to try. He sent four hundred to me since I had originally asked him to make them. These bulets proved to be some of the best .308 bullets that Berger has ever made. I found them to shoot consistantly in the ones at my range in great conditions. I even shot a couple of zeros with them. These bullets mic around .3082 on the shank, and .3086 on the pressure ring. The last thing Eric said was that the 115gr is part of his product line now.

Michael

He may have some in stock now. He definety made it sound like he was going to run them. He may not have had a chance to add them to the web site.

Michael

Most makers

make 118's on 1" jackets. Lighter ones are usually made on shorter jackets. Some of the best bullets I have had was a lot of 110's made by Speedy. I bought them from Bob White a long time ago. I also have some 100g bullets that shoot very well.

All said and done, it is toug th beat BIB 118 7's. They are as good as it gets, usually. There is no need to use anything else from my experience. They are KILLER out to 300 Yds.

It will be very interesting when someone finally is able to identify what in the process of making bullets allows some lots to be very consistend while others are very incossistent.

The cause(s) are pretty well known to bullet makers, Pete. They include but aren't limited to:
- Jacket material properties
- Core height relative to where the ogive begins
- Core material properties
- Dwell time at the top of the point up process
- Ejection speed/pressure

A 118 (for example) on a 1.00" jacket that weighs 40.8 (avg) is a completely different animal from a 118 on a .925 jacket with a longer/heavier core.

Back