New Bedding Technique

wnroscoe

I was at the range this morning and noticed a fellow having trouble with his rifle shooting groups to his liking. During our conversation I noticed an area bedded than ran from the barrel lug face to about four inches out under the barrel. When I asked about his bedding he replied it was all good, when I asked what type of release agent he used he replied, wait for it..................saran wrap :eek:, that’s right, saran wrap, the type your wife uses on her Jell-O surprise. I told him he may want to recheck the bedding among other things, wished him luck and walked away. Just thought I would share this with you.

:)Happy New Year:)
William Roscoe

I think I've mentioned here before that I was once given an '03 Springfield that was bedded (tang-to-forend tip) in Elmer's glue. Creative isn't always good...

-Dave-:)

Years ago (back in the 60s), I had a rimifire repeater, one screw hold down with a forend that had walked, putting pressure on one side of the barrel. One of the old guys showed me I could help it shoot better by fitting a couple of strips of target cardboard at the forend tip to recentre the barrel.

When that did the job, I decided to make a permanend repair so I cleared our the barrel channel straight & put in a permanent block in the forend tip using 1/32" balsa strips soaked in spar varnish & squeezed into a solid by barrel pressure. I used saran wrap stretched really tight as a release on that job. Y'see we didn't know about glass bedding & release agents in those days.

Anyway, if I took some time to tune the barrel tension, I could bench that little toy into shooting a .30 calibre 10 shot hole at 50 yards with the original Lapua bottle nose ammunition.

I was at the range this morning and noticed a fellow having trouble with his rifle shooting groups to his liking. During our conversation I noticed an area bedded than ran from the barrel lug face to about four inches out under the barrel. When I asked about his bedding he replied it was all good, when I asked what type of release agent he used he replied, wait for it..................saran wrap :eek:, that’s right, saran wrap, the type your wife uses on her Jell-O surprise. I told him he may want to recheck the bedding among other things, wished him luck and walked away. Just thought I would share this with you.

:)Happy New Year:)
William Roscoe

LOL, Thanks for sharing that! :D

I rebedded a rifle done with red bondo one time . For some reason it didn't shoot-nuff said!

I try to help people with bedding guns but if you use Pam as a release agent you are on your own !!

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebedded a rifle done with red bondo one time .

I sure most of you guys have seen more than I , but some of the stuff I've come across used for bedding..

Bondo (seems to be a favorite)
RTV
Quick Set cement patch
Wood putty
Testor's model cement mixed with saw dust.
Hot glue
Black Jack roof patch cement.

Scotch tape wrapped around the action and recoil lug UNDER the scope mount. What was most interesting in that setup, with the tape under the mount the screws weren't long enough, so sheet metal screws were a acceptable replacement.

As my father used to say, "Some people can wreak a crowbar in a sand box"

Bill

On muzzleloaders used by the US International Team we use hide glue mixed with sawdust. The repairs and modifications have to be "Of the era".

Hide Glue

Kevin:

Did you or your wife chew up the tendons for that glue? I'll bet she doesn't take kindly to squaws work.

Rustystud

Glen,

if you use Pam as a release agent you are on your own !!

In the 70's, Pam was one of the best release agents you could use with Devcon, then they changed the formula!!

I was lucky, I was getting ready to bed a Remy with Devcon, shot the action with Pam and noticed it didn't look the same as before, so decided I better test this.... sure enough IT DIDN"T WORK..... thank god I didn't try it, the thought did cross my mind.....:eek:

I seen a guy at the range showing another shooter is new trick idea for better expansion from his pistol bullets. He was explaining how he had actually bored a hole in the nose of hollow point 44 slugs, filled them with Bullseye, and compressing the charge by seating a Mag Rifle primer over the top! :eek::eek::eek:

I politely asked them if they would mind waiting for me to put my gear away and leave before they touch any of those off. Got the dear in the head light look. Tried to explain how wrong his concept was, but I am sure after I left they tried it.

One of the many reasons I avoid public shooting ranges as much as possible.

Randy

I seen a guy at the range showing another shooter is new trick idea for better expansion from his pistol bullets. He was explaining how he had actually bored a hole in the nose of hollow point 44 slugs, filled them with Bullseye, and compressing the charge by seating a Mag Rifle primer over the top! :eek::eek::eek:

Randy

Ah , you know the old saying Randy. "Time wounds all heels" :D

I seen a guy at the range showing another shooter is new trick idea for better expansion from his pistol bullets. He was explaining how he had actually bored a hole in the nose of hollow point 44 slugs, filled them with Bullseye, and compressing the charge by seating a Mag Rifle primer over the top!

That sounds neat! Did it work?

Seriously, I have a Titanium Rem 700 in 257 Roberts Ackley with a pencil thin #1 contour barrel (PacNor) that just wouldn't shoot under 1.5" at 100 no matter what I did. I tried something totally off the wall. I bedded the whole action and the entire barrel in GE clear silicone sealer. Worked amazingly well! Rifle now groups under 3/4" consistently.

P1080001-vi.jpg

In "Rifle Accuracy Facts" the author talks about "resilient bedding" and Browning has a patent on a resilient bedding that they used on their Boss Rifles of a few years ago......Seems to have merit......

Hide Glue

Kevin:

Did you or your wife chew up the tendons for that glue? I'll bet she doesn't take kindly to squaws work.

Rustystud

Nat,
No we got the glue from one of the music instrument repair shops. The rifles shot quite well, under 1MOA for 10 shot groups.

Kevin

That sounds neat! Did it work?

I have no idea, nor do I want to know....... And I sure hope nobody else tries it!

There used to be a big gun store chain here in So Cal. Right after Ruger introduced the Super Blackhawk, a guy went there and bought one.

After the waiting period, he decided to venture into the world of reloading. So he bought a RCBS Rockchucker and Ammo Crafter.

He also started picking out his components. He asked the kid that sold him the gun what powder he should use. The kid grabbed a can of Bullseye and said "here, this is what my buddy loads all his stuff with"

After asking how much to use, the kid said "Just fill the case and seat the bullet, you just bought the strongest pistol in the world, it can handle anything you put in it"

Well, as you can imagine, this fool did exactly as instructed. The second round that went off, it set off two more rounds in the ajoining chambers... The shooter lost his hand and an eye!

And the gun store did not stay in business much longer.... wonder why

I was managing a competing store at the time, so we watched this one as closely as we could.

I have always had a policy regarding load information, when asked about a load, I always direct people to the nearest loading manual. If it is not published there, it is not a load I talk about.

In my younger days we played alot with duplex and triplex loads. I have never shared any of these loads with anyone but trusted friends that had the same safety beliefs as I do.

Some of the things people do are just plain foolish and dangerous!!!

JMHO

Randy

I'm a range officer and was supervising at the range one day and a fellow showed up with a 22-250. After shooting a few rounds he came into the gun house and asked if someone could help him get his rifle on paper. I watched him fire a couple of ropunds and the bullet came out of the barrel at about 100FPS and landed thiry feet downrange. I asked him what he was using for ammo. He said he just got into reloading. I looked at one of his cartridges and it didn't seem to have any powder in it. I asked him what his load was and he said 38 grains of ?? powder. I asked if I could pull a bullet and inspect his load. Upon pulling the bullet I found a load of about 2 grains of powder. ................

Yup...he counted out "32 GRAINS" of powder. Said he used a set of tweezers to do it!....1,2,3,4.......Damn, this still cracks me up!

Tomorrow is Saturday

and I think the same guys will be at the range. I think I'll stay home and do the windows ;).

Great stories guys, thanks to all for sharing.

Last edited:
Bedding

While I hate to try and compete with pig belly pink bondo, here's an example of an alternative that does work well.

beddingII.jpg

Fine photo

Now that is what bedding should look like........

Back