New barrel material from Bartlein

It’s Probably not aimed at the short range Benchrest crowd.

But then, we are a very small minority in the shooting community.

Bartlien has invested a lot of effort and capital into this endeavor. They see the changing market and have responded.

My hat’s off to them.

Jackie,
I agree, but I'm one of those guys that likes to wait after the 1st model year
or so to see how things pan out.
Especially in the area of machinability.

I've been involved in this project I guess going on two years now. Chambered a couple of them. The steel is different and you can tell it while working on it. No special tooling required though. They are not like LW barrels.Reamers will not last as long but for some applications a 20% reduction in reamer life will be a good investment. I get 60-80 chambers from a reamer. Another $.50 or even a $1.00 per barrel in reamer costs is a good investment for some. We don't yet know how long reamers will last. All the test barrels, and there were many in industry and smith's in various disciplines, no one reported any issues working with this steel.

If you do your own work then it may not be for you. If it's on a rifle you're not going to shoot out the barrel. It's not for you. Bartlein will be just as happy selling you a 416R barrel.

Dave

Dave, did you have to change your parameters when working with these, or did you stay the same as normal 416R, just noticing it cut different?

Dave, did you have to change your parameters when working with these, or did you stay the same as normal 416R, just noticing it cut different?
We're all spoiled working with 416R. Everything stayed the same. It's not that different than 416R. I think the grain structure is a bit different thus the different feedback when turning.

We're all spoiled working with 416R. Everything stayed the same. It's not that different than 416R. I think the grain structure is a bit different thus the different feedback when turning.

Good to know. Burning up an edge on an insert learning a new material is one thing. Killing a carbide reamer that you just waited weeks/months for is a little tougher to deal with! Sounds like it's close enough to start with normal parameters and fine tune from there, if necessary.

Dave, would I be far off base if 15-5 PH 1150M with added Columbium to improve grain structure and Tantalum to improve high temperature properties came to mind.

This would be one of the better machining Precipitation Hardening Stainless Steels.

new Bartlein barrel steel again

Has anyone used these Bartlein barrels and with what results?
Do they last longer and are they as accurate as the 416R Bartlein barrels generally?
Thanks,
Al Elliott

It would appear to me that some short range BR shooter may benefit from this barrel material. For some of us, if the cost of of having to pay a gunsmith to make a new barrel less often, there could be some cost savings, assuming the barrels competitive accuracy holds up 1.5 to 2X as long.

For the PPC crowd that gets a 1,000 rounds per barrel is increased to 1500-2,000, that would be a cost saving of 1 gunsmith charge plus whatever cost for working up new loads.

Just a thought...

I have chambered up quite a few

bbls that are the new steel from Bartlein.

They machine just fine. Like Dave said, not much different at all.

Richard

In my opinion, this barrel material could be useful for a short-range BR shooter. If the barrels maintain their competitive accuracy for 1.5 to 2 times as long, we may be able to save money by not having to commission a new barrel as regularly.
mario games

Dave, would I be far off base if 15-5 PH 1150M with added Columbium to improve grain structure and Tantalum to improve high temperature properties came to mind.

This would be one of the better machining Precipitation Hardening Stainless Steels.

Columbium (Cb) is an older name for Niobium (Nb).

Back