New (1965)model winchester m70 heavy barrel target still in box

Dave B

Digging through my stuff I've came upon a rifle I bought when I was
15 years old.
It's a 26 inch 30:06 that I never got around to.
The barrel is 1.150 at the chamber and tapers to .890 at the muzzle.
Is there still any interest in a rifle like this?
Serial number 81001247 which puts it mid 1965.

Well, being as it's one of the first post-64 Model 70's, it's probably ugly as homemade sin, with pressed checkering on a club-like stock and a dull parkerized-looking finish on the receiver.

No insult meant, because that being said, I had a heavy barrel .225 of the same vintage that I bought new at about the same age and it shot lights-out. Wish I had never got rid of it.

This is a target model rifle hence no checkering at all and a pretty nice looking piece of straight grained walnut.the barrel is not polished on the exterior so it has a dull deep black finish. I don't have any idea how it shoots yet but it certainly looks like a winner.
I've had uglier full blown benchrest rifles.

The earlier posting about the checkered 225 of dubious quality got me wondering so I looked farther.
This model of target rifle was only available in 2 cartridges. 30:06 and 300 winchester. All long actions with notches for stripper clips.
If anyone knows more about these, please let me know.

I'm not really caring if it has any value although it looks good enough to.
My primary question is where it has accuracy potential.

Regarding Post 64 model 70

I guess I can't disagree that the first few years rifles were kind of ugly stock and checkering wise. By the early 70s though, after much input to Winchester, the push feed 70s, imo, were quite nice. The stocks had improved design wise and the action had been tweaked a bit. I have two 1973 New Haven 70 push feeds and the feeding is as smooth and reliable as glass. The barrels are a bit stout but the overall rifles are accurate and a pleasure to shoot. JMHO about the later post 64s.

OP,
Check the bbl twist.
IF,it is a 1:10 twist,it has potential.
If it is a 1"12 twist,sell it to a Winny collector.

Find an early 1970s

with pressed checkering on a club-like stock Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox and a dull parkerized-looking finish on the receiver.

and look at it carefully, load and cycle it, fire it. IMO they are nicer than most any 700/800 rifle of today. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Are they as nice as a pre 64? No, but for the often seen price of around 350 they are a steal

i have a target model 70 you speak of in 06, gun is stamped national match- it still holds the x ring with room to spare at 600 yards if I do my part. was feeding it 168, 180,190 bthp over a nice charge of 3100/4831 military brass ww primers. i would have look up the serial number for a apx date of mfg. purchased new in box mid 80's. apx 1800 rounds down the tube, it has been a safe queen for the past 25+ years. Used when I was shooting National match course, along with the M1 ( different loads as that long op rod dosen't like slow powders)

Barrel twist

from the Shilen website: I wouldn't sell a good Winchester 30 cal just because it had a 1=12 barrel, but that's just me.

- 7" * for heavy VLD bullets and/or subsonic ammo.
- 8" for bullets heavier than 220 gr.
- 8" Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 10" for bullets up to 220 gr.
- 10" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 12" for bullets up to 170 gr.
- 13" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14" * for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15" * for bullets up to 150 gr.
- 17" * for bullets up to 125 gr.

from the Shilen website: I wouldn't sell a good Winchester 30 cal just because it had a 1=12 barrel, but that's just me.

- 7" * for heavy VLD bullets and/or subsonic ammo.
- 8" for bullets heavier than 220 gr.
- 8" Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 10" for bullets up to 220 gr.
- 10" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 12" for bullets up to 170 gr.
- 13" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14" * for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15" * for bullets up to 150 gr.
- 17" * for bullets up to 125 gr.

Agreed. I have several 30's I hunt with and built them on a 14" twist. I shoot up to 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.

Michael

perceptions regarding twist rate vary I guess :)

A few years ago I purchased a pre64 Palma rifle barreled action. The fellow said he was shooting 200grn bullets. It is a Obermyer 11.25 twist and in 30 cal. Being a long barrel I cut the chamber off and had it recontoured in a Shilen #4 contour. It has been on the shelf for at least 10-15yrs. I'll find a need for it someday.

A lot of things

Outcomes too. Those Palma guys have a lot to answer for.

can work to dictate twist rate...temperature, elevation....but I still wouldn't sell a model 70 with a 12 twist barrel unless I need or wanted to shoot long for caliber bullets in conditions that rate wouldn't deal with. Having shot a lot of CF score benchrest I have no desire to go back to the 14 twist rate that was gospel just 20-25 years ago. For a 125 gr bullet or lighter(1" jacket) 17 is just fine in my shooting environment and the rifle sure as ell kicks and torques less in the bags...much more pleasant to shoot and I think conducive to better results.

Last edited:
Back