Need scope advice

building a Rem 40X 22lr for benchrest 50 and 100 yards. Need advice on a scope relative to a variable, fixed power, and reticle. I have looked at the nightforce but the array of reticles is of a concern. I want to be able to see the x-ring at both yardages. What do you guys like - Unertl, NightForce, Leopold, or Weaver? Can I trust a used scope as I have seen many for sale in the classifieds that look like good choices?Thanks, Dale

I'm a big fan of the Nightforce 12-42 BR with a NP2DD reticle. It is heavy but almost bulletproof. You did not list the March...perhaps $2500 affects you like it affects me. I'll take the Weaver T36 with a 1/8 dot every time before I go back to the Leopold Comp scopes. My 40X Leupold spends far too much time in transit between me and Oregon for its inability to maintain poi/poa. The Weaver T36's just sit there and do the job. bob

look at the ara national restults and see what the big hitters are using and then make your decision.

bob

I have looked through a lot of scopes and I find the one that likes me and my pocketbook is the Weaver T36 with a 1/8 dot....Slim

I have recently been considering purchasing a March 40x Benchrest scope with either the 1/8 min. dot or 3/32 min. dot. However, the price and warranty have me thinking long and hard before I take the plunge. I have heard they are the ultimate in scopes. Another "variable" eliminated....maybe?

Mike

I have 5 Weaver T36 with a eye piece that boost it to 45X this way you can move it to the Rifle of choice for that event.
I shoot the USBR = Green Monster from 25 yds out to 100 yds and have had no problems.

While the March's are not cheap, nor probably required for .22 matches, Kelbly's has never had one returned for failure to hold POI...never, so don't sweat the 5 year warranty. You don't have to fix em if they don't break.

Dollar wise Weaver T36, Sightron Big Sky 36, best bang for the buck, If you have deeper pockets Leos , and then the March if you are really well heeled. I have a couple of each of the first 3, all have been preforming well. My leos are bumped and as such are not supported by the mfg. Weaver has been down a bumpy road over the last 10 years or so having changed corporate ownership several times. I think ATK now owns them so if issues arise you are dealing with the conglomerate mind set. Sightron and Leo have been decent on issues for the most part. There have been only a couple isolated reports that I have read about on March units which were quickly resolved. The March units were designed by a BR shooter for our sport at great personal expense to bring them to market.

My Sightron 36X has given me great service for the past 7 years. Has held POI and the adjustments of 1/8" are very predictable and repeatable. If/when this ever fails, I will buy another.

Tim
I think March scopes are the finest in the world. However, your statement is incorrect: I personally returned two to Japan for repairs. Actually you may be right,when my scopes went bad I called Kelbys. They don't help at all, other than to give you the address to send them to in Japan. Lastly, the shipping price for two scopes was $165.00 If we ever get another distributor I would suggest you use them rather than Kelbys. FYI Fred Leeds

Thanks for the advice

I looked at the 2009 ARA Nats for scopes. In the first ten 4 Nights, 4 Leo, 1 March, and 1 Weaver. I guess any of the first three would suffice. The reticles used are not mentioned. I guess I will research these models and the associated reticles.
Thanks

Dalek, Just a couple of thoughts.

Are you able to attend a match and look through a few scopes before buying? Not all fellows like dots and not all like cross hairs, etc. Some scopes are brighter than others, and some are clearer. If you can attend a match, I am sure you will find a wide range of scopes and reticules to peer though. I have several of the scopes (by manufacturer) mentioned in your list, as well as different types from the same manufacturer. They all are different. However, I think your list of makes will provide an excellent scope for BR.

As an aside, I recall getting the "same scope" as a few friends at various times. The scopes were the same make (Weaver) and model number, but they were not always identical in quality. I never had to send one back, but I knew many which were returned. Sure you could hear the same about other makes. I only say this because a GOOD used scope is usually an excellent option. You might even find one for sale which you may view through, before buying, or a seller who will let you preview the quality and return if it is unacceptable.

Best wishes finding a scope that meets your needs and wallet. Doug Miller

"I have 5 Weaver T36 with a eye piece that boost it to 45X" ...... Where can you get these eye pieces????

Last edited:
Back