Need Help Here

T

thebees

Does anyone know of any other forums where I can get advise and info on calibers and modifications to improve accuracy on a facory/hybrid rifle. I don't have a 40x but I do shoot a Remington Heavy Varminter in .223. I'm thinking of building a .260 on a Ruger Varminter or maybe a Winchester. I'm not interested in formal benchrest competition as I can't see well anymore and Social Security wouldn't give me the raise I need. I just want an accurate varmint and benchrest rifle for my competition with me.
I also drive Fords so I need to find somewhere with friendly folks and every body is welcome.
Charles Beesley

I have one of these in .220 Swift and it is a tack driver right out of the box after I broke in the barrel then worked up reloads. In competition it has shot .292 for 5 shots at 100 yards before I started to learn how to read the wind with flags. It has shot better in practice since I read the wind better. I got it at Wal-mart (special order) for $610 and had it in 4 days. :)

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firea...=Target%20Grey%AE%20Target&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X40mm on top. This site has the lowest prices of any place I have checked.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3287

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Attachments

• DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of any other forums where I can get advise and info on calibers and modifications to improve accuracy on a facory/hybrid rifle. I don't have a 40x but I do shoot a Remington Heavy Varminter in .223. I'm thinking of building a .260 on a Ruger Varminter or maybe a Winchester. I'm not interested in formal benchrest competition as I can't see well anymore and Social Security wouldn't give me the raise I need. I just want an accurate varmint and benchrest rifle for my competition with me.
I also drive Fords so I need to find somewhere with friendly folks and every body is welcome.
Charles Beesley

In general I would think this would be a good place for said information, however I understand what you are saying.
http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php

Does anyone know of any other forums where I can get advise and info on calibers and modifications to improve accuracy on a facory/hybrid rifle.Charles Beesley

Charles,

There are several places you could look and read. Basically, you can do the same things to your factory rifle that others can do to their full custom. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you could pillar bed your rifle your self. Daryl Holland sells a spring kit and claims that after installed your trigger could possibly have a pull weight of around 2lbs +-.

There's several smiths that for around $200-$500 they will perform a factory rifle accuracy job to include the above mentioned plus re-crowning your barrel. Personally, I think the .223 is like the .308, easy to tune and load for. With good pillar bedding, a trigger spring change and tuned hand loads you should be able to squeeze enough accuracy out of that rifle that it would surprise you.

This Forum and 6mmBR.com are the only forums I would look to for extreme accuracy tips and tricks. Good luck to you.

Forum Problems

Thanks for the comments. I was really being a little sarcastic due to the storm of insults and childishness on here last couple of days. I didn't want to get attacked as I shoot Remingtons (can't afford 40x) and Rugers and drive a Ford.
Is this a competition forum or a shooters who to shoot off benches and hit targets forum?

My .223 Rem Varminter shoots very well. Had a lot of problems getting started with it but works good now. Why in blazes would Rem. make a 1 in 14 twist barrel and put a throat in it so long that with a 40gr. bullet just barely stuck in the neck of the case is still 3/8 inch from the lands?
For my next rifle I'm undecided on building a .260 or another .22 with a different twist for heavier bullets.
Thanks guys

Other Forums

The varmint hunters website welcomes all and is a very friendly site. Try GGVG (GOGOVarmintsGO or something like that and that should lead you to it.

Thebees: I highly recommend you look for one of the Remington Model 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) models in caliber 260 Remington they made back in 2,002.
I have one and it shoots very well indeed.
As these Rifles are factory offered you won't need any expensive custom barrels or expensive custom Riflesmithing to get a dandy rig in 260 Remington caliber.
I see them offered for sale only rarely but if one comes into view again I will let you know about it.
At first I thought you were just being sarcastic (who on earth would actually drive a FORD?) but now that I see you are serious I offer you some serious advice.
Look for the 700 VLS in 260 Remington and avoid the harm to your social security monies that a custom Rifle would cause.
Best of luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Back