Need advice on old problem gun. HELP

Hi All:

Years ago, I had a large barrel maker-gunsmithing firm build me a rifle.

When I received the rifle I found that the gun would only shoot with very poor accuracy. I am talking about 1.250" with my loads. After being abused personally and financially by the owner of this firm I put the rifle away until recently.

I pulled out all of the records for this rifle and recalled my horrible past with this beast. I made some measurement and found that there is .147" gap between the base of the bullet and the case mouth when I measure the seating depth for this chamber. This means that the bullet has a long jump until it hits the end of the rifling of about .250". It is no wonder that this gun never shot well It has a very long free bore! The "gunsmith" who assembled this rifle sent me a group of random targets that they obtained with different loads that averaged .280". I asked what loads were used to shoot these groups and nobody knew. I asked if I could speak to the person who worked on the gun and shot these groups but again nobody knew. At this point, I knew that I was being scammed!

The rifle is chambered in .220 Swift which I have had great accuracy form Swifts in the past.

In any case, what can be done to get this rifle to shoot as it should?

Have it re chambered?

Have a new barrel installed?

Just cut my loses and junk the rifle?

Any suggestions as to what to do?

I did take this gun to another benchrest gunsmith and he told me that the gun would never shoot well and that his 5 year old son could of done better work. Another B.R. gunsmith checked it out and said that he would start with a new barrel and go from there and it would be "expensive."

TIA,

Zeke
p.s.
No, I did not burn out the throat as I have not fired it very much

Long throat

I hate when that happens. A throat that long will allow gas to escape ahead of the bullet and gas cut the throat in short order. If the barrel is any good and has enough material ahead of the chamber it could possibly be set back and rechambered. Good luck with it. nhk

Set it back if you can. Should be enough shank to do that. Jon

New Barrel

You did not mention any other problems with the rifle, so I assume everthing else is okay, and the barrel is the only problem.

I would rebarrel, because the existing barrel is defective. The free-bore you know about, but what other problems are there with the barrel? You can probably get the barrel turned back and then rechambered, but what do really have?

Is this a custom gun?

Julian

Back