Need a tool for removing Win 3-position bolt shroud?

elmerdeer

Hi guys is there a special tool made that removes the bolt shroud from a Win model 70 bolt?
Its always a hassle to get the shroud off and clean up the interior of the bolt and firing pin assembly.
Thanks
elmer

The bolt shroud/firing pin assembly on the M70 comes out without tools. I don't have one, but I've taken one apart and it's about as easy as anything.

There's a little plunger on the left side of the cocking piece, push it in and unscrew the cocking piece/firing pin from bolt body. Hose out the interior of the bolt and the firing pin/cocking piece with brake cleaner or spray degreaser somewhere with good ventilation - like outside. As the manuals say reassemble in reverse order. A little light oil on the firing pin/cocking piece to prevent rust isn't out of place. Breakfree or something similar works well and won't solidify at low temps and is easy to apply.

The trick I discovered is to close the bolt, don't pull the trigger, leave it cocked. Then put the safety in the middle position. Then remove the bolt. It unscrews much easier when cocked.

The special tool required for this job has always been found at the end of my wrists. So far I have been able to find them, always have them with me. Works for me anyway, at least on the many thousands of the bolts I have tried them on.

Back