Neck sizing and bullet seating preparation.

338lm

My procedure in the order shown for neck sizing and bullet seating prep. is:

1) Lightly lube the outside of the case neck.
2) Size the case neck with a Wilson bushing die.
3) Clean any remaining lube off of outside of case neck.
4) Brush the inside of the case neck a few times with an RCBS nylon brush.
5) Put a light coat of lube inside the case neck with a Q-tip.
6) Seat the bullet after measuring my powder.

Do I need to lube the inside of the case neck for seating? Is there anything else that you would recommend, change the order of, or eliminate from this regimen? Thanks.

Bad experience

Once I somehow got a teeny bit of Imperial Sizing Wax on the edge of the neck, and when charging the case a kernal of powder evidently got stuck there. When seating the boat-tail bullet, it managed to get between the bullet and the case neck, rendering the diameter of the neck too large for the tight-neck chamber. I had to disassemble that round and prep the case neck again. I was astounded to see the outline of that kernal in the case neck. The neck thickness was about .0085.

I suppose you could use a dry lube like mica dust, but do you really want that blown down your barrel? NOT brushing the inside of your fired cases actually leaves some residue as a lubricant and it may give more consistent bullet release than bare brass. I have heard that brass and copper left in direct contact for very long can form some sort of light bond and cause more resistance to the release of the bullet.

My procedure in the order shown for neck sizing and bullet seating prep. is:

1) Lightly lube the outside of the case neck.
2) Size the case neck with a Wilson bushing die.
3) Clean any remaining lube off of outside of case neck.
4) Brush the inside of the case neck a few times with an RCBS nylon brush.
5) Put a light coat of lube inside the case neck with a Q-tip.
6) Seat the bullet after measuring my powder.

Do I need to lube the inside of the case neck for seating? Is there anything else that you would recommend, change the order of, or eliminate from this regimen? Thanks.

Lube body only. Full Length size [no half measures] with a F/L Bushing Die using Carbide bushings [no need to lube necks, Inside or Out]. Wipe off case. Prime, Drop powder, Seat bullet, QC Measure the outside diameter of the loaded round at the bullet's pressure ring [if it has one]. Done. :)

like abintx i dont think i'd lube the outside of the neck. it makes neck tension vary too much. and damn sure dont lube the inside

In my opinion

from hundreds of test sessions, the one most important factor in seating is to have all one's bullets end up exactly at the same length when measured, as closely as one can, to where the bullet will engage the lands. That is what determines optimum performance, providing one has the right amount of fuel in the case.

Having said that, if one jams hard and uses powder to find accuracy then what I have said is probably meaningless but if one depends on seating depth, either on, into or off the lands all the bullets need to be seated at the same length for optimum performance. Yes, .001 matters :).

Pete

Sorry, it is not any of the calibers you mentioned. This is pertaining to my 6.5x47. I am getting serious about wanting to compete with a 30BR build.

Last edited:
Some shooters, who have opted to reduce some of the case prep steps, don't brush the inside of fired case necks. They allow the built up carbon and/or powder residue to act as a lubricant. :)

Some people use a *dry* lube on the inside of necks. Like this:

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...87_a_7c1021_a_7c749000642_d_749000642_d_20538 .

I admit to using it in brand new cases and those that, for some reason, I've cleaned with the ultrasonic.
The item you show is the Imperial Dry Neck Lube container. What you really want to use is the Imperial Application Media with Dry Neck Lube container. The Imperial Dry Neck Lube container is really meant to be used to recharge the Media container. If you use the container you show to lube the neck you will end up with too much graphite on and in the neck and a mess. Other than the labels the containers look alike. I know from experience when one time I picked up the wrong container to lube the necks. To avoid this happening again I no longer keep them side by side on the same shelf.

The item you show is the Imperial Dry Neck Lube container. What you really want to use is the Imperial Application Media with Dry Neck Lube container. The Imperial Dry Neck Lube container is really meant to be used to recharge the Media container. If you use the container you show to lube the neck you will end up with too much graphite on and in the neck and a mess. Other than the labels the containers look alike. I know from experience when one time I picked up the wrong container to lube the necks. To avoid this happening again I no longer keep them side by side on the same shelf.

You gotcherself some funny looking dings in the shoulders and some screwed up headspace din'tcha'!!!?

BTDT

GTTS

LOL

al

RCBS 2 & Lee lubes

Put a light coat of lube inside the case neck with a Q-tip.
No Q-tip, use the brush if you must lube inside the neck when using an expander. Some lubes can get between the expander & brass. Hydraulics may expand the brass more than normal in only part of the neck. Using lube inside the neck may avoid Cold welding??

Back