Muller barrels

drknite

I have had a muller barrel back ordered for awhile. Was wondering for the people that have one or who have shot one,what is your opinion of them compared to shilen barrels. Any advantages or strictly up to the gunsmith performing the work. I have two shilens and was wondering.

Gunsmiths & Barrels

I have had a muller barrel back ordered for awhile. Was wondering for the people that have one or who have shot one,what is your opinion of them compared to shilen barrels. Any advantages or strictly up to the gunsmith performing the work. I have two shilens and was wondering.

Gunsmiths, in general, have very little to do with how barrels are made. They mostly can't make a Silk Purse from the proverbial Sow's Ear. They are, pretty much, machinists who know how to fit barrels to rifles well, for the most part.

Look at some of the equipment lists from some of the big shoots in America. Shilens are at the top of the list, most of the time. Everyone who makes barrels make some, what are called, "hummers". Not every barrel made by whomever are or will be a "hummer".

From what I hear, Muller's are, pretty much, unobtanium so it may behoove one to look for a "Hummer" elsewhere. Any way one looks at it, barrels are cheaper than ammo and the cost of attending matches so either learn to chamber barrels or spend a few bucks with your favorite barrel fitter and have a few made up. It's a short life.

Pete

Thanks Mr. Pete. I have never been known for me patience. I was just wondering as Mr. Calfee seems to think that's the only way to go. Wanted someone else experience with them.

MullerWorks barrels

Yes, IMHO the MullerWorks 4 groove MI barrels are some of the best in the RFBR industry. Unfortunately, the supply has dried up and none have been available to the average competitor for some time now. I shoot two rifles, that have MW .900" 4 groove barrels fitted to 10X actions and both are excellent shooters, limited only by my shooting skills and the ammo available. Problems is, Killough SS has removed the MW 4 groove barrels from their website and now only offer the MW 8 groove barrels ... which must be special ordered. There is no proven track record for the MW 8 groove barrels ... that I am aware of.

My second choice in barrels would be the "Shilen Ratchet" which are more commonly available and perform extremely well in the major matches, as seen on the equipment lists. I have a Ratchet installed on a IR50 Sporter and also a 10.5 lb rifle. Both are competitive in local matches. Good luck on acquiring a new MullerWorks barrel anytime soon. John

Last edited:
I am afraid as others have said it's getting time to move in a different direction. A shilen ratchet seems to be the way to go.

Yes, IMHO the MullerWorks 4 groove MI barrels are some of the best in the RFBR industry. Unfortunately, the supply has dried up and none have been available to the average competitor for some time now. I shoot two rifles, that have MW .900" 4 groove barrels fitted to 10X actions and both are excellent shooters, limited only by my shooting skills and the ammo available. Problems is, Killough SS has removed the MW 4 groove barrels from their website and now only offer the MW 8 groove barrels ... which must be special ordered. There is no proven track record for the MW 8 groove barrels ... that I am aware of.

My second choice in barrels would be the "Shilen Ratchet" which are more commonly available and perform extremely well in the major matches, as seen on the equipment lists. I have a Ratchet installed on a IR50 Sporter and also a 10.5 lb rifle. Both are competitive in local matches. Good luck on acquiring a new MullerWorks barrel anytime soon. John

George Donovan led the ARA National Tournament through 5 or 6 targets last year, and finished second, shooting an 8 groove Muller barrel. There are a couple others also.

Carp

Thanks Mr. Pete. I have never been known for me patience. I was just wondering as Mr. Calfee seems to think that's the only way to go. Wanted someone else experience with them.[/QUOTE

What he uses and why vs what you get and have fitted are less likely to be similar.

Last edited:
Over the years

Thanks Mr. Pete. I have never been known for me patience. I was just wondering as Mr. Calfee seems to think that's the only way to go. Wanted someone else experience with them.

I have seen good barrels from a lot of makers. Ya gotta keep in mind, barrel fitters are in it to make money, folks who do their own are trying to save whilst doing a proper job. There is no guarantee that if you do manage to get your hands on a Muller it will be a great one, that's just life.

Having just read the old link on chambers, why wouldn't a lad buy a Hart?

Pete

I have seen good barrels from a lot of makers. Ya gotta keep in mind, barrel fitters are in it to make money, folks who do their own are trying to save whilst doing a proper job. There is no guarantee that if you do manage to get your hands on a Muller it will be a great one, that's just life.

Having just read the old link on chambers, why wouldn't a lad buy a Hart?

Pete

Hello Pete,

At the Barn in March 2016, there were two gentlemen from NYS (Jerry & Don) setup next to me and a buddy at the cleaning benches. Both were using "Hart barrels" on their rifles and they were shooting decent scores in both major matches. As a matter of fact, both rifles in most cases shot higher scores than both my rifles, with Muller barrels, and I averaged just slightly above 2000 on every card. Tenex ammo that shot very well the previous year, when I agg'd a 2300 average in the ARA Indoor Nationals, wouldn't perform this year at the Barn. But maybe it was just me!!! lol

Getting back to Jerry and Don's Hart barrels. Both Hart barrels, using different actions, were shooting consistently well. So yes, I would be of the opinion that if more of the highly skilled competitors used Hart barrels in RFBR ... we would see much greater success. John

Hart barrel.
Over at WLM central, the principle dispenser of all that is worthy talks extensively aout how flat ( lack of vertical dispersion ) he strives for, complete with images. That's about 1/3 of a bullets worth.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Back