Modfiying bolt ramp good or bad idea ?

matchman

My bolt lift at the very final stage of lift where it rides over the full cock notch disturbs the rifle in the bags.
I was given advice to nearly eliminate this ramp on the bolt. What do you think ?
My previous issue with heavy lift was primarily wrong grease. (non/pressure type) A new bolt cap/shroud also helped nice and smooth now.
Its a Neiska J action. 6ppc
adam

Last edited:
Every rifle I have has had the cocking ramp reworked and the nose of the cocking piece stoned smooth. It can make a big improvement. Firstly you don't have to compress the FP spring as much.

Secondly you can create a gradually tapering ramp onto the existing full cock notch. This means most of the spring compression is done on the first part of the ramp and then as the spring is getting more compressed and therefore requiring more force to further compress it what actually happens is that the mechanical advantage is working in your favor spreading the remaining compression over a greater amount of rotation and thereby reducing the force required to cock the fp in the final bit of rotation of the bolt.

I also stone the cocking ramp to make sure the cocking piece is bearing towards the center of the ramp and not on an edge where it will create a burr on the ramp.

Inspect the tag ends of the FP spring. Any proud metal on the OD at the front end of the FP can drag on the bolt body and proud metal on the ID at the backend can drag on the FP shank.

I put grease on this area several times during a match.
40xcockingrampone.jpg

ooooh...pictures too!!
Thanks Ray.
Any Idea why they are not made that way ? The full cock vally/notch is in the same un-modfied state either way. Why climb a higher hill just to end up in the same place ?

Last edited:
Having a distinct notch makes it more difficult to accidentally bump the cocking piece off the full cock notch. You can leave some of the bump so there is still a small detent or you can make a flat shelf for the cocking piece.

With a flat shelf it is relatively easy to inadvertently decock the FP. I don't have a problem using my thumb to push the cocking piece back up to the full cock shelf. If I am going to leave the bolt out of the action for a long period of time I decock it.

Im not sure I understand.
Can decocking occur with bolt in action ?
Or are you refuring to after removed from action ?

With the bolt open or with the bolt out of the action it is possible to bump the bolt shroud and cause the bolt to decock. You best know how to get it cocked again, preferable without tools [depending on the bolt]. With a Remington clone bolt you hold the bolt in your left hand and push on the cocking piece with the thumb of the left hand. With the right hand you rotate the bolt shroud.

Hall actions will require something harder than a human thumb to push on the cocking piece :D

Back