Mini-Lathe Instructions?

D

donjfred

I have never used a metal lathe.

.......But I am considering the purchase of the mini-lathe at http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82710.

I probably would use it for small parts (not serious gunsmithing) such as wind flags, poles, reloading tools, etc (Maybe neck turning?). I also do airplane scale models and it could be used for scratch built parts.

Bottom line is whether its useful or not I think it would be fun to learn something new.

can any one recommend a basic book on lathes for a beginner. Something like "Lathes for Dummies"? Is this appropriate equipment for my goals?

Thank you Nemohunter. That's a great starting source.
Don

I got a mini lathe ~8 years ago.

The cross feed and compound are too copliant for cutting metal with a tool bit.
It can cut plastic with a tool bit. It can cut metal if a Dremel tool flex arm in held in the tool post with a V block.

It does a good job of drilling and reaming.

It does a good job of spinning an arbor holding a wire wheel.

What does it all mean?
Don't buy one.
Get a real lathe.
A 400 pound Atlas is so light, you will be cussing at it's springyness.

Fun Toys

Mini lathes are kind of like the bb guns of machining, they're fun to play with and when you screw up, as you always do when learning something new they won't kill you! They cut metal, slowly and in small increments but if your in no rush they will get a lot of small stuff done. Bigger is better. For that price I would look for something a little bigger, the step up to the 9X20 price wise isn't that much more and it will do a lot more. Better yet a good used American lathe would be better. Check out the Home Shop Machinist web site and The Practical Machinist wed site.

Dennis

I taught machine shop, drafting, and manufacturing engineering courses at our local community college for several years. The best basic book going is the South Bend Lathe "How to run a lathe' There will be several revisions and they are always available on eBay. Any of the versions will be good. Engine lathes and their operation has not changed since the 1930's. Cutting tool materials have changed but the basics of turning, boring, threading, etc. have not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-to-run-a-La...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

While you are at it, watch eBay and get yourself a good used South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. Some can be had for under $2,500. Then you can do all the types of operations required for gun work.

Most of those mini-lathes are too light for machining and too heavy to use as paper weights!!

Thank you all for the advice. My feelings after reading is there is no simple (cheap?) way for a novice to enter the world of metal turning. Like all things if you don't get decent quality the first time you'll just keep upgrading as you learn and spend much much more.

Thanks for the link Jerry. I put in a bid on the book. If I don't win it I'll search elsewhere 'till I do get a copy.

I think my best bet is to read and learn more before I make the plunge. (There was a SB heavy ten on ebay at about $900 , but hasn't hit the reserve yet.) Tempting, but no way to know the condition.

Thanks for the link Jerry. I put in a bid on the book. If I don't win it I'll search elsewhere 'till I do get a copy.

I think my best bet is to read and learn more before I make the plunge. (There was a SB heavy ten on ebay at about $900 , but hasn't hit the reserve yet.) Tempting, but no way to know the condition.
If you don't get that book, eBay usually has dozens for sale in print and DVD and in reprint and old original. http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Ho...d=m270.l1313&_odkw=south+bend+lathe&_osacat=0

If this is the one you referred to, it looks great. Keep in mind these Heavy 10's were used by the thousands on US and other Navy ships and can be easily broken down into about 50-125 pound components. Thousands were used in factories and trade schools so there are always Heavy 10's for sale. Mine is a 1944 Navy model and I can still get parts. After over 60 years of use, mine finally needed a cross-feed nut. South Bend shipped me one in 2 days.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUTH-BEND-PREC...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

I have a HF 7X10 mini-lathe that I have had for three years now. I think it is a great way to get into machining. I have made a ton of stuff for my RC airplanes and Helli's. Converted a lot of weed eater engines for RC and a lot of stuff for reloading and gun cleaning. This little lathe taught me a lot and it does not break the bank. I got an Atlas lathe later on and now have a new Grizzly gunsmith lathe.
Mike

Mike. I had a look at the Grizzly and it looks impressive. Perhaps I would eventually go thru the type of progression you went thru.

I would probably stay at the mini level , but most of the posts were very discouraging. While I know the Mini cannot do professional work ( I am only a hobbyist) it seemed, until your post, that it cannot really perform at any level, including learning. Very discouraging.

I just can't see going directly to a 1500 lb piece of equipment at my level of knowledge, not even knowing if I have the aptitude or sustaining interest in it. Maybe after reading the SB book (I also ordered a CD made from a SB movie tutorial) my confidence and interest will rekindle.

So far, just another idea probably down the tube. Thanks for your response.
Don

I'm new to the forum, but not to mini lathes. For years, well heck over a deccade I've wanted a decent 12-13X36-40 for doing gunsmith work. Actually that's how I came across this forum, finding comments on the Grizzly G4003G which I'm planning to buy at year end. But I digress.

I simply didn't have the funds for the full size lathe, and I spent alot of time researching the smaller lathes. I'd debated again and again about one of the 9X19 machines, but I handled enough of them ro realize that they sorely lacked rigidity and were too small to do any serious work, and too expensive given their limitations.

I finally bought a Taig lathe as I'd been given a 3 jaw chuck and some collets for the Taig. The taig is a very small lathe that can't cut threads, but it is capable of suprisingly accurate work. For making misc. reloading die accesories, trimming brass and other small parts it worked fine. But I finally got to the point that it was just too limiting for what I wanted to do.

So, I started doing more research on mini lathes and found tons of good info on the net. The ability to cut threads was a big plus, the variable speed and high speed capability was nice, and I could do limited barrel work. Then a few years back we were visiting family and I stopped by visit a friend who builds race cars. He'd gotten a mini lathe in addition to his full size lathe and said you gotta get one of these, there great little tools. So I called up Grizzly and ordered one. I'd gotten a drill press and some other items from Grizzly and their Bellingham warehouse is pretty reasonable to ship to Alaska and they've provided great service.

The downside of these small tools is that they have limited capabilities, well what do you expect from a 7X14 lathe that cost $500? If you're planning on using it to re-barrel rifles, you'll likely be sorely disapointed. If you understand it's capabilities and limitations, and those work for you, by all means get one.

They are also a bit of a work in progress. Do some searching and you'll find out how to clean up the fit off the dovetails and take out the slop. Once tuned up the lathe can cut metal and do precision work. It will teach you all the basics of machining, just on a smaller scale and for a smaller investment.

I've re-crowned about a 1/2 dozen sporter weight barrels, a job it is fully capable of.
759103089_3B501D1223E782DA0F4898401F281D75.JPG

I've also made up many small parts for a variety projects. Even when I get a full size lathe I'll still keep it, as the high speed is great for polishing small parts, and there is something to be said for not having to constantly tear down the setup on one lathe when you have a second setup and ready to go.

Add in some additional tooling and you can pretty well setup for about $1000. I recomend a 4" 4 jaw chuck, and replace the factory drill chuck with a decent 1/2" keyless chuck. An assortment of cutters and boring bars and you're ready to go. You can add or make tooling as the need arises.

I think those that turn their nose up at these small lathes somehow expect them to be more capable than they are given their small size and small price. They certainly won't touch what you can do with a full size properly tooled lathe, but considering you're looking at ~$1k vs. $5k, what do you expect?

Don,
The mini lathe is in no way, shape or form a gunsmith lathe. But, if you are like I was........wanting to try my hand at machining, then I think it is a great place to start without a large investment. I have learned so much with the mini, I learned how to cut threads and many other things that I use with the bigger lathe. I'm sure that if you went to one of the mini lathe forums, you would get a lot different response to your questions. Now that I have my bigger lathe, I will probrably sell the little guy. I would like to keep it, but I could use the money to buy more tooling for my bigger lathe and mill. I think that if you enjoy making things and have ideas for future projects that you could do if you had a lathe, than I would not hesitate in buying a mini lathe. And if you have the funds, go with a 9X20 size machine......even more fun!!!
The guys on this forum have it right.....bigger is better....unless you don't have a need for a bigger machine. Even if at a later time, you decide you are not really into lathes, you could sell it and get most of your money back. There are several brands of the mini that I have that are very much alike, grizzly, Harbor frieght,and others. Check out littlemachineshop.com, there is a lot of info on the mini's and they sell any part that you would ever need.
Just my opinion........Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the question

Mini-Lathe information.

Besides the books already recomemded try this: www.LittleMachineShop.com

There is more to mini-lathes then some know. Some are capable in building small engines.

Remember mini = small. Mini does not mean "not accurate".

Most think of mini-lathes as as small lathe you buy from Harbor Frieght.

I saw on Ebay

A nice chart of feeds and speeds for various metals for Mini Lathes. I thought it was a fantastic "Must Have" for anyone starting up with a lathe.

This might be a little late, but I thought I would share my experiences with my 7x10 mini lathe. Ten years ago I wanted to learn how to machine and I started with 7x10 from HF.

I needed a set a wind flags and I spent the money on a min-lathe in stead of a complete set of flags. I made my first set and had extra parts/materials left over. So I made a few more and sold the rest here in the Benchrest central classifieds. After a few sets, the lathe paid for it’s self.

I then moved onto bore guides, inletting stocks, pillars for bedding and single shot adapters. All made with the mini-lathe.

I started racing RC cars and made tons of parts that saved me money. Lastly I started working with miniature steam/compressed air engines and I guess my best effort so far is the Radial engine I built. Now I did acquire a mini-mill when I started building the radial, so not everything you see here was done on a mini-lathe. The engine is in +-.005 of the drawings and ran the first time it was started.
DSC00056Small.jpg

DSC00055Small.jpg

This is not a Gunsmith lathe for turning barrels, but this is the lathe that can make all of the other stuff you need for shooting. I can make just about anything as long as it fits on it. I have owned 12x36 Clausing, two 9x36 South bends but the mini lathe is here to stay.
I just think it is a shame people slam these little machines. It is intimidating to bring home a 1000 pound machine that most likely needs 220volt wiring, leveling and might be able to seriously hurt you if you make a mistake. When a mini-lathe is small, uses 110 volt, less of a chance serious injury and is very well supported on the web. I don’t think you can go wrong with one of these little machines. Dean

Varmint Al

has a page on his mini lathe which he has done a number of modifications to , making it very user friendly and capable of doing quality work. I bought a micro-mini lathe last year and it is a disapointment. I expected better lead screws and nuts and it didn't come with a drill chuck or live center which makes it a tad bit better than useless. I did finally buy a drill chuck for it but had to wait months for it to be ordered in from China. When i received it the chuck had over .007 runout because one of the jaws was smaller then the others. A friend was able to true it up to around .001, which is usable. I have never tried to turn anything in it becaues of the lead screw quality or lack there of. From my experience with this one I wouldn't go any smaller than the 7x10 and if one has the room get the 7x14 or even larger if one can.

I received a Little Machine Shop catalog recently and they sell some nifty things for these small lathes and mills. I think for a beginner or for anyone who isn't gonna do barrel chambering right away they are ok as a start.

If you are in Florida, the Sarasota area I have a light 10 Southbend 48" bed with some tooling reasonable. Probably about the same price as a mini lathe. I started with a mini lathe 8" Emco and now want a full size gunsmith Grizzly.

Don,
The mini lathe is in no way, shape or form a gunsmith lathe. But, if you are like I was........wanting to try my hand at machining, then I think it is a great place to start without a large investment. I have learned so much with the mini, I learned how to cut threads and many other things that I use with the bigger lathe. I'm sure that if you went to one of the mini lathe forums, you would get a lot different response to your questions. Now that I have my bigger lathe, I will probrably sell the little guy. I would like to keep it, but I could use the money to buy more tooling for my bigger lathe and mill. I think that if you enjoy making things and have ideas for future projects that you could do if you had a lathe, than I would not hesitate in buying a mini lathe. And if you have the funds, go with a 9X20 size machine......even more fun!!!
The guys on this forum have it right.....bigger is better....unless you don't have a need for a bigger machine. Even if at a later time, you decide you are not really into lathes, you could sell it and get most of your money back. There are several brands of the mini that I have that are very much alike, grizzly, Harbor frieght,and others. Check out littlemachineshop.com, there is a lot of info on the mini's and they sell any part that you would ever need.
Just my opinion........Mike

while i agree with you regarding the capabilities of the mini-lathe, i have a 7X14 and have turned 4 barrels on it, about to do my fifth. while my work is far from BR quality, my best effort to date has produced 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards on the break in load (7 RSAUM).

i have barreled several 260 rems and am beginning work on a 9.3 X 62 for my pending trip to Africa.

i'd love to have something bigger, but if you work carefully and slowly -- with the proper tooling, they are fine for hunting rifles. the largest contour i can handle is a #5.

Back