Mauser Acuracy potential?

Hi Gang:

What type of accuracy can I expect from a commercial Mauser 98 clone? Of course I will use a benchrest grade barrel and a well fitted stock etc.

Am I wasting my time and money? In the 50's the Mauser would shoot in the fives at the bench rest matches with the technology that was available to them at the time.

Any comments about this idea?

TIA,

Zeke

Mauser Accuracy..

Kent Reeves Won the Nationals at Camp Perry shooting a 300 Win Mag Mauser a few years ago. He has won many matches at Butner with the same rifle. Don't let anyone say a trued up Mauser want shoot with the best of rifles.

Nat Lambeth

food for thought

zeke, most mausers are made to hunting specs, kind of like the rack 700 remmys and savages. if you are going to break for a custom barrel and stock why not save for a bench action like a bat too? the mauser can be made accurate but the money spent to make it that way would be better spent on a bench action. if you are a bench quality machinist and you have time to burn. you are fortunate, unlike most of us that have to pay by the hour and dont want to cry twice. Fred

possible yes,but

A lot depends on what your goal is. The mauser 98 was designed as
a war machine. Dependable in all climates, sand and ice. The clearances
are big and the firing pin fall and mass are not condusive to accuracy.
The claw extractor, although great in the field leans hard on a case.
That said, I shot next to Guy Green at Anderson Creek some years ago.
He was shooting a mauser with a 30-30 ackley improved and shot
5 pinwheels in a snow storm on a 100yd score tgt. Given enough pesos,
skill and time you can do lots of things.

Here's my experience with a Parker Hale

It was the Varmint version, I purchased in 1985. I had a Hart 1-12 twist Light varmint weight installed with a match reamer with minimal freebore and non turn neck in 6mm Rem.

From my experience of shooting Rem 700's in 6mm Rem, I knew that the 60's did real well with Win 760. So, off to the range I go with Sierra 60g hp, 62g Watson's, and 62g GTB's.

After a 5 rounds of sighting in, I shot a group of .292 with the 62g GTB's, similar groups with the Sierra 60 and Watsons.

Next trip to the range, I went with 80g Sierra single shot pistol bullets and IMR 4064. At 3600 fps, I was shooting groups in the low 3's.

The Parker Hale had a fantastic trigger on it, and I set it at 16 oz which is great for varmint hunting. I made a lot of memories with that rifle, shooting crows, jack rabbits, and varmints in Mexico...lots of 300 yard shots on crows.

You have to think about what you are expecting of your rifle and go from there. If the action is not smooth, that's an issue. If your trigger needs replacing, that's another issue, and so on and so forth.

Good luck!

It was the Varmint version, I purchased in 1985. I had a Hart 1-12 twist Light varmint weight installed with a match reamer with minimal freebore and non turn neck in 6mm Rem.

From my experience of shooting Rem 700's in 6mm Rem, I knew that the 60's did real well with Win 760. So, off to the range I go with Sierra 60g hp, 62g Watson's, and 62g GTB's.

After a 5 rounds of sighting in, I shot a group of .292 with the 62g GTB's, similar groups with the Sierra 60 and Watsons.

Next trip to the range, I went with 80g Sierra single shot pistol bullets and IMR 4064. At 3600 fps, I was shooting groups in the low 3's.

The Parker Hale had a fantastic trigger on it, and I set it at 16 oz which is great for varmint hunting. I made a lot of memories with that rifle, shooting crows, jack rabbits, and varmints in Mexico...lots of 300 yard shots on crows.

You have to think about what you are expecting of your rifle and go from there. If the action is not smooth, that's an issue. If your trigger needs replacing, that's another issue, and so on and so forth.

Good luck!

My 7mm Mag is a Parker Hale 1200 Super. It has factory Timney trigger which is gold plated. It can do 3/4MOA with a good handload. The nice two-tone(Weatherby-ish) stock was shattered (older brother) and replaced with Bell & Carlson. The bolt was replaced by Interarms Mk X after a 270 Win(younger brother) was shot out of it. It still shoots under an inch.

If you find one in..............

brand-new shape, I'd say fine, its worth a try. If you find one that has been "customized" and all the edges looked like it just walked out of the box, I'd ask if the seller was the original owner, if not, I'd pass; not saying anything, just walk. Some people in the past have taken these actions that had seen some wear, and "restored" them to where they looked brand-new. The Mauser had a hard shell, and a "tough" (softer) core, if it was "restored" and not re-heat treated, you could have problems. And if the seller isn't the original owner, he may be trying to make a sale today. or, HE may be the "customizer" and be uninformed as to what should be done. If you ask a lot of questions and get into a give-and-take discussion, you may be giving him the education to snag somebody else that is ignorant. I have seen a lot of guys who have the attitude that, "If it don't shoot, I'll sell it an' get me somethin' else!!" They pass on their problems, to the unsuspecting. Getting a good one is just like buying an M70, a 700 or any other factory gun, and I doubt you'd want to spend the money on some of the top examples. Be careful http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/waffen_en.htm I'm sure this guy could sell you an action that would be top of the line, but I bet your grommet would be SCREAMIN' :D:eek::D ;) HTH

All front locking actions are a variant of the Mauser design. If the action is good and straight it is capable of good accuracy. A limiting factory is the controled round feed type extractor on a Mauser 98.
What it can do is put too much sideways pressure on the case.
This makes for good strong extraction but the drawback is in some cases it can push the case out of good alignment in the chamber for that first fire formed shot. I know it still lays on the bottom of the chamber with a push feed type extractor. However I have found a few Mausers that were quite bad in this regard.
Having a minimum spec chamber , where you have to size a new unfired case a small amount to get it in is a big help to staying centered in a 98 action.
Also in mine I grind a small amount of the factory extractor claw to take some of that original pressure off and bevel the front edge to allow it to ride over the rim in an emergency.
I have several 98 actions that are over 100 years old and shoot just as well as other factory guns
The drawback is that you can only take them so far . If you want all the addons and BR modifications then the REM 700 is better . It's easier to accurise and all the right gear is available.
If you are considering buying a new action for BR shooting then I think you would be way better off buying something like a Barnard . It is not that expensive but accurised and ready to go. Just a thought.

Back