Match at the Rock 1-12-08

steve stanley

The Rock took no prisioners today at the 200 yd match. We had 37 guns, 28 VFS, 6 custom and 3 factory shooters, pretty good turnout. We had Roger Avery up from Ga. and Ron Collins from SC and several new shooters. The weather was pretty good mid 30s early and warmed to around 60 by the end of the match around 2:15pm, the winds where switchy with a lot of velocity changes and quick switchs. George Waldrep won VFS with a score of244-7x,Roy Darnell was 2nd w-242-4x, 3rd was Travis Pomp w- 241-4x. George slipped by Travis and Roy in match 5 as they suffered train wrecks of varying intensity. In custom class George Neal continued his rein of terror w-235-3x, Butch Mays was 2nd w- 226-4x and Mike Davis was 3rd w-221-2x score. In factory class a new shooter Don Ross won w- 224-2x 2nd was Charles Ellertson w- 221-1x and Bill pascoe was 3rd w-201-0x.Well I guess by now ya'll are looking for the report on the hurricane in Rockingham from the scores but though the conditions were tough we shot the match on 100 yd targets and nothing was plugged, if it didn't touch you didn't get it and that does make your mistakes costly. There was some very good shooting done considering the conditions and the small target and some of us pretty much sucked! Congrats to all who shot well and Thanks to all for coming and a special thanks to Maurice who called the match and ran targets and to all the rest that helped and a special thanks to Roy's Missus for the chilli beans and Naner pudding it was excellent as usual and we do appreciate your hard work to prepare it and thanks to Roy for having the matches. We will have another match next month on the first Sat. 2-2-08 I believe so ya'll come now, Ya hear. Steve

Match two 200 yrds

Roy tell the misses the chili was GRRRRREAT. And the match was alot of fun too.Thanks Roy

Mike Davis:)

Is that what Roy said?

Somebody said that Roy said, "When it gets too tuff for most folks, that's when I start to begin to like it." If that's true, Roy loved the action today. Lotta half stated and muffled sailor talk. Kinda like hittin' your thumb with a hammer.........Numerous times. %$# @#$&*%$$#. 200 yards and itty bitty targets. Roy said that it was just practice. We wouldn't have it any other way. North Carolina Jujitsu wind had all but a very few of us figured out, but what a great way to spend the day. The table fare was excellent as usual, thanks Misses Roy, as was the coffee. Sawmill coffee. Ronnie Davis, the brewmiester, get's the credit for that, but we all cried in our chili and consoled each other as best as we could. Maurice did a superb job at calling the match and takin' care of all the other details. Call me a masochist, but I am looking forward to the February match. See ya there, Stay Safe, Doug:D

great match roy, it,s way to far for one yardage, however visiting with friends, getting feed with great food and they provide a challenge and let you shoot on such an easy target [not] I really enjoyed it
roger

Roger, we were glad to have you come join us and tell the Humble one that if he ain't scared he can come too next time! Steve

It was a great time as always! Like Steve, I got my butt kicked, but he was lucky enough not to ride home with the 12 year old that finished 7th, kicking his Dad's butt in the process! Them little circles were TOUGH!

Hope to see everyone in February!

Tom

Tom, Shane shot very well, that boy is going to be trouble in another year or two. It's always good to see the young-uns shoot,
steve

Tom, Shane shot very well, that boy is going to be trouble in another year or two. It's always good to see the young-uns shoot,
steve

I agree - hard for me to keep up NOW! He'd be up there with Julia pretty quick if he didn't spend so much time on the baseball field, but I'd never try to stop that!

All this talk about The Rock - I sure wish I would have been there.

Adrian

All this talk about The Rock - I sure wish I would have been there.

Adrian

All I can do is offer you the ride...won't be long until 2-Feb when we get to do it all again!

Roy - what kind of targets are you planning for us this time out??? Same as last 100?

Tom

Targets.......

I was thinking about drawing up a new target with 3/8" ten rings instead of 1/2". What do you think? I like making the scoring a little harder, but don't want to hurt the attendance. The way I look at it, these matches are for practice. Practice on these harder targets, and the regulation targets will be a piece of cake!

Lets hear it, guys. We'll do whatever you guys want ( to a degree.. ;) )

Whatever!

As long as I can make it, I'll be there whatever you decide to use...Everybody has to shoot the same target that I do in order to kick my butt, so it really doesn't matter...you never know though...I guess I'll have to load Shane's a little "differently" this month so I can kick his butt for a change!

Tom

Targets

Roy,

That sounds good to me. Sometimes I think the smaller the aiming point is the better you will shoot. You just seem to concentrate more. Like T-bonz said we all are shooting the same target.

Mike Davis

I was thinking about drawing up a new target with 3/8" ten rings instead of 1/2". What do you think? I like making the scoring a little harder, but don't want to hurt the attendance. The way I look at it, these matches are for practice. Practice on these harder targets, and the regulation targets will be a piece of cake!

Personally, for VFS, it sounds kinda interesting and I'd vote for it. However, for Factory and Modified, it doesn't sound so good as it is already hard enough to hit the 1/2" target.

Adrian

Makes no never mind to me

I'll just use a bigger scope. That'll make the circles bigger. No sir, you ain't pullin' one over on me. And you thought that this was just another pretty face. I got this shootin' thing figured out. Got my mojo working. Stay Safe, Doug :D

Julia votes against using smaller targets. Her opinion is that The Rock is already hard enough to shoot. The smaller targets would make it not worth her while.

Back