Making custom resizing and seating dies

South_Pender

I'm going to have a 6 PPC built and am supplying the chambering reamer. Can I obtain superior resizing (neck-only with bushing) and seating dies by using the chambering reamer to make them with something like an L.E. Wilson (or similar) die body blank?

sizing, no.

necksize -only, yes

seating, yes

"bump die"- fuh'GEDDAboudit

Wally Siebert useta' make dies from 12L-14 using the chamber reamer and he believed they shrunk a thou when you hardened them and that made them usable..... I've not found this to be the case.

I have a theory as to WHY they work for some and not for others but making a resizing die from the chambering reamer DOES NOT work for me.

from what i have seen,
the current trend is to
fl size with a neck bushing.
the fl is just a thou or so.
neck sizing only is not the "trend"

you may want to look at what is going on. talk to others
BEFORE you invest in any dies.

I have one PPC reloading "assembly" where I used my Borden PPC reamer to make a Wilson like seating die using the Wilson stating plunger. Looks just like the Wilson. I got Lenwood Harrell to make me a special sizing die that takes the standard neck bushing dies.

Can really custom reloading assemblies be mad? Yes. Just tales time, a lathe, wet-or-dry pamer, etc.

Like DJT said last night "WE can do it"!!

Dies make your own out of piece of barrel brass doesnt ware imade mi9ne 30 yr

i have one ppc reloading "assembly" where i used my borden ppc reamer to make a wilson like seating die using the wilson stating plunger. Looks just like the wilson. I got lenwood harrell to make me a special sizing die that takes the standard neck bushing dies.

Can really custom reloading assemblies be mad? Yes. Just tales time, a lathe, wet-or-dry pamer, etc.

Like djt said last night "we can do it"!!

ago bushings anjjd all

Die body reamer

Die body reamers are the easiest to make, or have made by someone with a tool and cutter grinder. I start with a straight flute hand reamer. All you really need is to grind the body taper to match the taper of a fired case. Make the diameter about .002" smaller than the case. Grind a 30 degree (or other angle) on the end of the reamer. In most cases, you don't need to grind a neck on the reamer. Either use a custom diameter reamer for the neck reamed portion of the die, or make it a bushing die. I have provided an example of a hand reamer. Remember there are machine shops around with tool and cutter grinders in most areas.

Michael

Attachments

• Hand Reamer.jpg
    Hand Reamer.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 198
If I were gonna get another Harrell's

I'd get a .003" or #3. As cases age they resist being crunched and we don't dare anneal the bodies, do we? Why is that? They are soft when new, eh?

With my 30 BR stuff, I use a 308 small base die every third loading or so to keep the bases right. My Harrell's die is a #2. I have an old turret press with my dies all set up so all I have to do it rotate them from station to station as I am prepping brass. I am going to add a de- capping die for this season as my first station.

Pete

Last edited:
Back