LV vs. HV ???

tiny68

Greenhorn question again - Can you use one action/stock/scope to shoot LV and HV and just swap barrels? What do you guys do. Been eyeing the used market and I see a lot of both LV or HV but nobody is selling a dual purpose rifle. tiny

An LV is a dual purpose rifle. If you are not going to shoot registered matches it is a moot point.

Yes

Many shooters shoot their LV in both classes, while others add weight to the butt stock. Mike Ratigan has a three pound weight system that brings his gun's total weight from ~10.5 # to ~ 13.5 #. Others change barrels to bring their weight up to near 13.5 pounds. Good shooting..... James Mock

Tiny,
This is the exact setup I am having built as we speak. A LV PPC and then a weight system and HV barrel in 30br. I am using a BAT SV RB/LP/RE, a bruno/mcmillans stock, kelbly rings, and a sightron 36x (may have to switch to a leupold comp to make weight in the LV class...time will tell). I think that the majority of top competitors have purpose built rifles, and they only shoot one type of discipline (I am sure there are those who do both, but my guess is they would be in the minority). I know that those dual purpose rifles are out there, but I would bet that they are more rare and might take a while to show up in the classifieds.

Mike

Tiny

I bought the Kelbly switch rifle when I started. It is their BR FB stock model with the Weight system. This consists of a weight that goes into the butt and the LV & HV barrel profiles are different. The HV being heavier.
In this way the extra weight is distributed. You will need a barrel vise and Davidson receiver tool to switch out your barrels. Easy, doesn't take long at all.
Centerfire.

Some of us shoot the 10.5 pound rifle in every class so as to not get sloppy bench technique problems when switching between a 13.5 and 10.5 pound gun.

If I was to switch weights, I would prefer to add the weight in the barrel, not the stock. But balance issues would need to be looked at of course.

Changing barrels alone won't add the three pounds of weight to bring a 10.5 pound rifle up to a 13.5 pound rifle. A maximum HV taper barrel (which is the largest diameter contour barrel allowed in the varmint classes) cut at 24" starting at the breech end will weigh about 6 lb 6 ounces which would just be a gain of a pound and six ounces over a typical LV/SP class 5 pound barrel weight. You could go longer on the barrel, but then you'll be getting into a balance problem unless you add some weight in the butt.

To bring a LV/SP class rifle up to the 13.5 pound weight limit of the HV class you have to get the three pounds by attaching a weight, going to a heavier barrel or by going to a heavier scope such as a Nightforce scope.

My HV rifle has a 1.700 diameter steel action and is a dedicated 13.5 pound rifle. I can't use the full breech end of a max HV taper barrel on it and still make weight without going with a significantly shorter barrel than normal. What I've been doing with it is using the same LV contour barrels that I use on my Sporters and chamber them without cutting any off the breech end. To get the correct weight of barrel on the Sporter for the 10.5 pound class, I normally wind up with about a half inch of cylinder in front of the threads before the barrel starts tapering.

Tiny

Since you are a 'greenhorn', (your words), you probably do not understand that what the vast majority, (98 percent), of shooters call a LV is in fact a legal NBRSA-IBS Sporter. Why, because, that 98 percent of Rifles are chambered in a caliber larger than .23, most being a 6PPC.

I would not worry about having a HV, 10.5 pound Rifle will shoot just as good, and if it is a Sporter, you can shoot it in all classes.

A good example of what I am talking about is at our first match this year. The format was 10-shot Unlimited and HV. Gene Bukys won both Grand aggs, and the Two Gun, using his Rail Gun in Unlimited and his 10.5 pound Sporter in the HV Class.

At the Nationals, we shoot the Sporter 100 on Wednesday Morning,and the LV 100 Tuesday afternoon. Typically, 99.5 percent of all shooters will just continue with the Sporter in the LV class.........jackie

Input

Thanks for the input. I think instead of complicating things to start with, I'll go with a LV and shot it both ways. I've got bitten by the BR bug, I just can't get free to go to many matches. Kids come first for a while long. Tiny

Unless you are supersticious about barrel length, most BR Gunsmiths will finish your barrel to a length so that the rifle ends up being a wisker under the Max weight for the class. I just mention this because I saw someone considering swaping their scope to make weight. There are plenty of tricks for shaving weight, a well conceived plan will keep you from having to use them.

I am one

of those green horns even though this will be my second year shooting matches.

I like the idea of shooting just one gun in every class. It is nice to be able to have a HV to shoot in HV class. That extra weight makes it that much nicer to shoot. Having another gun for HV means another 4 g notes tied up in another gun.

For us shooters who have to work EXTRA HARD to pay for the gun we have I would sooner spend the extra 4 g notes on barrels.

I would also like to believe that those who shoot one gun and well at that become one with it and possibly can become a beter shooter.

JMO

Calvin

Back