Leupold Competition Scope

jim

I am in the market for a new scope for my Suhl benchrest rifle (shoot ARA) - currently using a Weaver T36 and while it works well am looking at a Leupold 40x competition series scope. Opinions on this scope would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Many people use them and have no problems. Some folks, even folks who have used them on Rimfire Rifles, have had problems with them, throughout the years. Scopes are the Achelies Heel of our game. Often, one never knows if their scope is giving them problem and fight a loosing battle with other supposed issues with their rifle and or ammo, etc, etc.

Last time I looked, there were 4 frozen Leup Comp scopes for sale on the classifieds here. I have one I have used for years and like it very much. They are very easy to adjust. They are as positive a scope setup as one can ever have, in my opinion. I don't use mine on my RF riflr because the action is too short but I have considered having a rail made and buying another frozen setup for my FR rifle.

Frozen scopes have the internal adjustments "frozen" in place and the scope is adjusted with external adjustment mechanisms. CF shooters love them but only a few are used in RF bench games. I had one on a Turbo and it was hard to adjust (the further apart the mounts are the easier it is to adjust). The CF guy I sold mine to loves it. I did it because that Leupold Comp went back to the factory every 3 months for turret work. Freezing it fixed THAT problem.

If you like the Weaver T36 what is it NOT doing for you? The Leupold Comp is a nice scope and with everything Leupold they have a lifetime warranty service. I own several of each and to tell the truth the ONLY time I wish I was shooting my Leupold Comp rather than the Weaver is on the rare late evening in twilight, in a barn with poor lighting on the card or worse when I have to shoot into the sun. But the Leupold is almost 3x the cost and weighs more than the T36. If you want a Leupold Comp then you won't be happy until you have one. Its a BIWI thing. (but I want it) Merry Christmas. bob

I agree with Pete. The first series that came out in the "J" series I believe, had some problems, but they were corrected.

As stated the early ones could have issues, since about the R series they made changes and rarely do you hear of recent ones being anything other than reliable.

Leupold Comp 40X is 5 oz. heavier than the Weaver T36X...(16 oz vs. 21 oz. on my scale, I have both scopes)....The new Leupold Comp scopes are just OUTSTANDING, none of the negative issues that you have read about these scopes exists. Customer Service at Leupold are first class people, they are there for you and the service is excellent...

The 5 oz. weight difference would be my only concern if you were tight with the weight of the rifle, otherwise you can hardly beat a Comp series...

Regards,

azuaro

Back